Site news

Stuck on Chapter 5. I can't remember, feels like memory loss

Picture of George Thee
Stuck on Chapter 5. I can't remember, feels like memory loss
by George Thee - Wednesday, 2 May 2018, 11:51 PM

Newbied here. I'm excited to start this program I bought the book and I'm at Chapter 5. 

Dr Schubiner is asking to write down symptoms from the past. What if I can't remember symptoms from 20, 30 years ago. (pains, triggers, etc.)

Is memory loss part of TMS? Is my memory so repressed that I'm blocking events? Or I just don't have many bad memories from childhood?

How can I get past this, feels like I'm already stuck even before I start.

Thank you.

Picture of Howard Schubiner
Re: Stuck on Chapter 5. I can't remember, feels like memory loss
by Howard Schubiner - Monday, 7 May 2018, 2:13 AM

Hi George.

Not to worry. First of all, I can't remember things that happened that long ago either.

The idea is to simply consider how many types of MBS type symptoms you have had over the years, in general; and to see if there have also been a significant amount of stressful events that could have triggered those symptoms.

Of course, in many cases, it will be difficult or impossible to make all of those linkages.

The important thing is simply this: to know that you have MBS; to know that you can get better; and to know that this program is a good step for you.

Are you able to state those things with confidence? If so, great. Move ahead without worry. If not, write and let us help you.

Best, Howard

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
Re: Stuck on Chapter 5. I can't remember, feels like memory loss
by Dianna Cunningham - Tuesday, 8 May 2018, 4:30 AM

George I’m super middle aged and can’t remember a lot of stuff but here’s what I found: I just started out with what I remember and some of the details came back. Some didn’t but some did. Just think of stuff that stresses you out or that’s difficult for you. Yes I think we repress things so much we forget but we can usually remember something! And then we can remember something else. Believe it or not it’s all there.

My problem was definitely not stuff in the last few years it was childhood and young adult.

Just start writing. You’ll get there!!!!!