Site news

cant find the workbook or cd mentioned in the online course. quite confused!

Picture of julia Penrod
cant find the workbook or cd mentioned in the online course. quite confused!
by julia Penrod - Wednesday, 14 March 2018, 11:27 PM

I am confused while I look over the directions as there is a workbook mentioned and a cd for exercises.  They are named exercises yet I don't see any instructions for them anywhere.  Can anyone help me with this problem?

Picture of Howard Schubiner
Re: cant find the workbook or cd mentioned in the online course. quite confused!
by Howard Schubiner - Saturday, 17 March 2018, 2:11 PM

Hi Julia.

I'm sorry that I didn't see this post until now.

There is no separate workbook for the program. The workbook that is mentioned was given to people taking the class before my book was published.

I now use the book in the in-person classes. The materials that were in the workbook are provided in the online program (and in my book).

The CD has been replaced with the meditations on the program. You can also access the meditations directly from unlearnyourpain.com

On the home page, click on Unlearn Your Pain meditations; the password is: meditations

Let me know if you need anything else. If you would like a copy of the book, just let me know and I can mail you one for free.

Best, Howard

Picture of julia Penrod
Re: cant find the workbook or cd mentioned in the online course. quite confused!
by julia Penrod - Thursday, 29 March 2018, 4:36 PM

Thank you so much for answering me.  I  was shocked that someone actually did.  I have 10 children and  7 of them are in chronic pain four, debilitating pain.  I am going through this course myself and simplifing and summarizing the instructions for them as some of them are so troubled by migraine that reading is very difficult.  

I have a few questions to ask you.  It appears that we make a list of past traumas and stressors but only a few are dealt with in the write away exercises in week one and then we move on to write about other things. 

When I did the write away 25 minute jog I found the most immense relief and discoveries probably to date in my life time.  Although I didn't take this program for myself the pain I have had for the past five years..  Interstitial cystitis...left and has not returned.  I haven't even gotten past week one and I am pain free.

I have also experienced extreme bouts of feeling faint and having my heart beat race up to 225 beats per minute at which time an ambulance had to be summoned.  I have not had one palpitation just since doing three of the write aways in the 25 minute jog.  

I am convinced that controlling ones thoughts is the answer to almost all illness and can even assist the body in healing those pains and illnesses that are of an organic nature as well. 

I am continuing to summarize and make to do lists of the course for my family so that they will not become discouraged because they don't know what to do. I have created pdf files and printed them and put them in a binder so that they have the complete simplified instructions to follow .

All of a sudden I stopped and thought.  What if I am infringing on your copywrite by sharing these with my children.  I am so sorry if my purchasing the program did not cover them.  Will you please let me know if I am permitted to share this with my family.  I have purchased the book and the online course so I could fully understand it all to teach to them.

I feel the need to express my extreme gratitude to you for the work you have done and the inspiration you have followed and the kindness to share your discoveries with others.  

I am healing at a rapid pace and I am certain if they believe and follow the directions and do the exercises they will to.  I will be eternally grateful to you and your family who support you in this work for what you have shared with me and how this has changed my entire life. My prayer is that my children ( who are all adults now but still must live with me ... many of them as they are debilitated by pain) will have the same results in their lives as I have in mine. 

With Gratitude,

Kathryn

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
by Dianna Cunningham - Thursday, 29 March 2018, 6:23 PM

Hi there! I’m so happy that you are making progress in the program so quickly. That’s really exciting. I sincerely hope the program helps your children and I don’t think you’re infringing on any copyright laws by sharing the book and information with your family. We can see what Howard says but I’m sure it’s okay! I’ve lended  my book and CD out to a few friends and I think it’s okay.

I believe you are so right when you say the mind is linked to almost all illness. Most doctors will say that stress causes illness but they don’t explore it beyond that which is crazy.

For me the writing was difficult because I had to go back and visit things in my past that I had forgotten about. It took a lot of work to remember so much of what I had blocked out. I actually didn’t know I had anxiety or fear because it was buried in layers below the surface of my mind. So I had to go back and remember things that were really bad. It wasn’t easy. That’s why I think it’s so exciting that your pain is disappearing so fast.

Best of luck to you and your family in your healing journey!

Picture of Tim Hutton
by Tim Hutton - Friday, 30 March 2018, 11:50 PM

Hello,

I’ve read your posts. People who understand the nature of various body/mind syndromes are drawn to reach out to others who are newly exploring these waters which they themselves have navigated.

Since we’ve never met personally, the communication on the surface may appear limited, but to the degree that you are impacted by the suffering of body/mind syndromes and the bewildering overwhelm, panic and helplessness that can come with it; in direct proportion to the degree you have suffered from this, we know that part of each other very well. Deeply.

This knowing of each other on the fundamental level of human suffering is the most genuine, authentic and meaningful knowing of each other that can possible take place in life. Everyone is happy and can easily share with you during fruitful successful moments. Everyone is happy to grab their share of the sunshine, but where the human heart really shines is in the barren places and bleakness of human difficulty. That is why I love this forum. True wealth exists here.

This forum provides for a quality of sharing the grandeur of which outshines all other types of interactions. There are many people here listening to this, or rather – reading this. They care and if they don’t immediately reply it is because they are reading as others reply. We want you to know that you are highly valued, because though we don't know all the details, we know the fundamental reality that you are working through.

I’m no physician, but to be honest, my qualifications are very simply much more illustrious than that, as are the qualifications of all others who have suffered in the painful darkness of mind/body syndrome and are coming out of its grip or have been out of its grip for years.

Within the context of knowing what I now know, as I read about you and your family and the extent of shared physical pain, my heart ached, but it also swelled with admiration for the courage you show by being willing to stand up and take on the task of learning about these dynamics and becoming a future means of helping your family see through the cascades of false limitations that the time-honored and ultra-established medical system have set so well in place.

In his book “The Great Pain Deception” Steve Ozanich quoted a very good philosopher named Arthur Schopenhauer. He stated, “All truths passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second, it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident.” I can't think of any place in our modern world where this applies more accurately than with body/mind syndromes. One day maybe (?) it will be common knowledge, but what is wonderfully liberating to recognize is that no one has to wait for others to come along before they learn of this on their own terms, within the laboratory of own our body and mind. It only this immediate, direct learning that really means anything anyway. That's the ONLY place where the rubber merts the road.

I know this post is rather long, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing with us. Thank you for becoming part of this family and as one who was deeply and helplessly drowning in the gutter of debilitating and overwhelming pain, let me use my last words to assure you that you can recover, your family can recover and I have recovered. For years now I have enjoyed the fullness of physical activity pain-free. From this side out it I can honestly tell you that it is clear that anyone can do it, but it requires attention, practice and confidence in the simple light of intelligence we have all been given. Not an abundant amount of intelligence, just a simple common amount, but combined with respect for that very simple light. A listening to and respect for it.

With me , there were countless set-backs. So many that I couldn’t possibly count them. Don’t let any of them move you irreversibly off track. With the cultivation of self-patience, gentleness, and if it seems to resonate with you - the willingness to identify with that intrinsic light of life which is forever and always has been, beyond the reach of pain, you can make the memory of your suffering something that only serves the fullness of the rest of your life.

Just as the moon lightes up a quiet pond and yet is never itself touched by the water, so also that within you which lights-up and showers your body full of life, is never touched by the confusion or limitations that culture endlessly entertains itself with to it's detriment.

Happy Easter weekend everyone!

Tim

Picture of Cheryl H
by Cheryl H - Saturday, 31 March 2018, 7:38 AM

Wow,Tim here I am in the middle of the night reading your beautiful response because mind- body pain  is keeping me awake as it is most nights. You have so much insight to this perplexing and universal suffering, and yes , illustrious understanding. I know Dr. S. gets it but so few physicians really do, though I'm finding through my own experience that more and more MDs are are finally coming around a bit. (A bit...But still have no idea what to do about it )! Thank you for answering to this woman's pain because I feel unqualified since I have not been successful yet in ridding myself of this true misery. I'm so glad to see you're still around, we need you here you know! I'm still working with my therapist and she so wonderful and still coming up with new ways to calm my Central nervous system.I had  a huge set back from some medication (poison)that several doctors thought was the answer but made feel like I wanted to die, and I think it's still it's going to take a while to recover from that horror. Sorry for all the grammatical mistakes, but as I said it's really late here! Sending love and understanding to who all who have found themselves here. 

❤️Cheryl 

PS debilitating abdominal pain is my problem..live in bed 

Picture of Tim Hutton
by Tim Hutton - Saturday, 31 March 2018, 10:44 AM

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for your post. 

I want to and will respond, but it is late her also and I just got up to check my phone because I'm looking to check-in with my son.

Hope you can have some comfort and rest this evening.

I will respond more fully tomorrow.

Your friend Tim.

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
by Dianna Cunningham - Saturday, 31 March 2018, 10:10 PM

Tim and Cheryl: So happy to see posts from both of you as long term survivors of tms. Tim you should write professionally. The depth and compassion you have for others is extraordinary.

Cheryl I truly believe there is an answer for you out there and I know it’s difficult to manage the darn subconscious mind once it gets it’s hold on us sometimes it’s difficult to get it to loosen it’s grip! This has definitely been the case with my issue. Extremely frustrating and I know you think that everyone else gets better so quickly why can’t I? I’ve been there too and the truth is at this point we simply don’t know but we will! The truth eventually sets us all free.

I love you all. You are my soulmates!

Picture of Tim Hutton
by Tim Hutton - Sunday, 1 April 2018, 2:33 AM

Love you too Dianna, Cheryl and Kathryn!

Tim.

Picture of julia Penrod
by julia Penrod - Saturday, 31 March 2018, 11:27 AM

My heart reaches out to you Cheryl.  Tims answer to my post was one of the most beautiful and compassionate communications I have ever been privileged to read.  This kind of friendship must in and of itself carry a healing power beyond anything in this world. Thank you for sharing. 

Its 430 am and I still haven't slept. My geart is filed wirth tbe sorrow of secondarily bearing the pain of so many of my children who are suffering add you are and as Tim has. 

I was immediately released from my chrinic pain the second I realized what it was.  I healed and have stayed pain free for 2 weeks now which is miraculous.  I do the whole program daily to teach them all how to heal. 

Hold on dear friend! You are already healed! You just have to grasp it like reaching up to pick an apple off a tree. The answer lies within you.  

Warmest Regards, 

Kathryn

Picture of Cheryl H
by Cheryl H - Saturday, 31 March 2018, 7:08 PM

Your childrens pain is the only worst than your own, right?-C

Picture of Cheryl H
by Cheryl H - Saturday, 31 March 2018, 8:15 PM

I want to fix the grammatical errors but I'm trying not to be a perfectionist!

Picture of Tim Hutton
by Tim Hutton - Saturday, 31 March 2018, 10:04 PM

Hello Cheryl,

I received notice of your post late last night when I got out of bed and turned on my cell to see if I had any communications from my son. He had been out on a sort of 1st date (he is 15) and I wasn’t certain where he was. I had a mild yet still anxious concern that wasn’t completely gone until I got up this morning only to realize that he had come home quite soon after my wife and I had initially gone to bed.

So, at the time I arose late last night and felt anxious, there was no distance between the way I wanted things to be in terms of time. He was downstairs in his bedroom at the time I wanted him to be. There was no distance in terms of space, because he was in the exact location I wanted him to be in, that is he was safely tucked away in his bedroom where I would prefer he was. Yet, there was still a distance and this distance gave space for the attendant anxiety. So there was no distance in terms of time or place, but yet there was still an immense distance, enough to create anxiety. This is the distance created by ignorance.

This distance created by ignorance is of a nature not understood well at all in our culture, yet it creates a vastness that can be filled with all kinds of difficulties, terrors and pain. This is a very pernicious kind of ignorance. This kind of ignorance can only be dispelled by knowledge. As soon as I woke-up to know that Nathan had been downstairs in his bedroom all along, the ignorance was dispelled as well as any anxieties that the ignorance had made room for.

When I respond to posts I realize that the posts seem radical, perhaps ridiculous, yet I can only tell the truth as I’ve experienced it. Though I can read and read, listen to many others, yet fundamentally it is only my direct experience that takes the lead. That is the only way out of darkness for any of us. Not my light, but the light that is within each of us as individuals.

When I stated that my credentials exceed that of a physician, I quickly followed-up by writing that the same is true for anyone who has to any degree whatsoever made progress out of the maze of body/mind syndrome. There is no special light, but the problem is often that we generally do not give proper respect to the light that we carry within ourselves.

Imagine for a moment that you were standing in front of Eiffel Tower at night. The lights from the tower are ablaze and you are nearly overcome by the beauty radiating from it. Also consider for a moment within this example, is the beauty of the Eiffel Tower with it radiant lights greater than the light within yourself that is beholding it? The light within a human being far outshines any that light beholds! The splendor of that Light way, way, way exceeds the beauty of anything seen within it! Yet, everyone seems to forever be infatuated by the content of what is seen rather than recognizing the blessedness of that within one’s self that Sees! This recognition has given me the essential freedom that eventually liberated me from mind/body issues.

This may seem radical, but it is the only thing that has really provided ultimate freedom to me in my life.

My son Nathan was safe and sleeping soundly in bed at the precise time I was up and worry about him. The light that continually shines within is of a deeply blessed and vastly different nature than any of the objects (including thoughts) that are lit-up because of its presence within. When the light within is recognized as blessedness itself, then one is no longer ignorant of its presence. For me, this recognition in time allow things like body/mind issues (and everything actually) to relax and eventually give way to a restful relationship.

My son had been precisely where I had wanted him to be, but my waking up to that realization was the entire difference between a ruminating, anxious state of mind and one that was a peace.

Again, I know these are long posts, but it these dynamics are profound and potentially life altering and when I start writing I need to state them fully.

May peace be with us all this Easter Weekend,

Tim.

PS Please excuse any grammatical errors. For some reason I haven’t been able to log onto this forum with anything other than my phone for over a year and its challenging to type all this on this dinky little phone.

Picture of susan fields
by susan fields - Saturday, 31 March 2018, 6:57 PM

Cheryl, I had irritable bladder for years until I fully and completely understood that there was no physical basis for my problem--and that I was not required to live like an invalid. The pain was sometimes excruciating which made me doubt over and over that something might be wrong. When I got rid of the pain from that symptom I developed a chronic cough and post nasal drip along with nausea, headache, and no appetite. I am still dealing with that as it is again unbelievable to me that this is MBS--but I know that my body is tied up on knots from anxiety.  have had other physical symptoms over my lifetime that doctors did not know how to diagnose so they gave me medicine after medicine until I got wise as to what was going on. These symptoms included very painful and often acute muscle aches and pains, burning eyes and throat, vulvadine, trigger finger, fatigue, and ocular migraine. If the doctors have found nothing wrong--then trust what they are telling you and live your life the way you want to. Hope this is helpful. Our medical community has no clue regarding these types of illnesses and so often they make a diagnosis that gets us further stuck in being sick. Experience the relief of know that your are really healthy. Best, Susan

Picture of julia Penrod
by julia Penrod - Monday, 9 April 2018, 6:27 AM

Dear Friends,

My heart goes out to all who have suffered the pain of Interstitial Cystitis or Migraine as I have had first hand experience with the debilitating effects of each. With increased understanding of what these two illnesses really are... not really illnesses after all ... just a way for me to distract myself from the real issues which are buried emotional scars and wounds...I have been able to put them both to rest.  I know that this does not happen for everyone but I am certain that if one understands, works hard and prays that one can be relieved of all of these symptoms and live a pain free life as pertains to this type of pain.  

Suffering has an upside which is the increase in compassion for all types of suffering and for this reason I will never regret having the years of pain that I have experienced as it has made me a partaker of the experiences of those who suffer in like manner and better equipped to share this beautiful message of hope with everyone. 

Thank you all for being transparent and honest with everyone. I feel a sense of belonging here and purpose.  I truly care about each of you and feel great compassion for all of you who are suffering but equally feel hope in my heart for your complete healing and freedom from being debilitated by trapped emotions and wounds.  Forward friends!  On to the victory! Do not look back except to bring something forward into the light of today and the knowledge and hope for  peace in tomorrow.  

Kathryn

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Monday, 9 April 2018, 5:00 PM

So beautifully put, Kathryn. Written directly from the heart.

There's a saying about fasting, which say something like: When we fast, we are able to care about not only our own suffering and hunger, but those of others as well.

Thanks so much!!

Best, Howard