Site news

stomach burning/gastritis

Picture of Sean Tracey
stomach burning/gastritis
by Sean Tracey - Thursday, 8 March 2018, 9:22 PM

Hi everyone,

I have had almost every type of MBS from back pain, to stomach problems, GERD, knee pain, carpal tunnel, anxiety, allergies, headaches, foot pain, eye issues, dizziness, out of body of experiences, panic attacks etc.  My latest is gastritis which I have successfully treated in the past but this time seems to be hanging around longer than usual. I get burning when I eat almost every time and reflux.  It is kind of freaking me out. I had been taking magnesium and vitamin C for about 3 weeks when it started so I stopped that (magnesium has caused stomach issues in the past for me) and was hoping it would go away. It has not yet.  Since every time it hits me it is causing a distraction and I focus on it I am afraid it is continuing.  I had a endoscopy 8 years ago and had a small hiatal hernia and some motility issues in my esophagus but other than that I was fine. I am now wondering about going to GI and having follow up scope but that can be a little dicey with MBS.  A few months ago after having a heart scan and it coming back great I said to myself I wonder what will now happen to get my attention and even said to myself "my stomach" and lo and behold it began.  I have had reflux/acid indigestion for years treated with over the counter meds but I have had good success managing them with MBS treatment also.  Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.  I has been a time of enormous stress in my life.  

Picture of Howard Schubiner
Re: stomach burning/gastritis
by Howard Schubiner - Thursday, 8 March 2018, 9:53 PM

Thanks for writing, Sean.

It's seems pretty obvious that this is TMS, doesn't it? If you read your email, it is filled with fear. Every time you notice discomfort is the perfect time for you to challenge that fear; to be strong; and to remind yourself that you are perfectly healthy; and to calm your brain; relax your mind; and be kind to yourself.

When pain triggers those reactions, instead of fear, you will recover. Don't worry if it takes some time; be patient!

Best, Howard

Picture of Sean Tracey
by Sean Tracey - Friday, 9 March 2018, 4:56 PM

Thanks Doc,

Of course I know this to be true but having it confirmed is very helpful.  So it is now moving from my stomach to my chest...

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Sunday, 11 March 2018, 3:41 PM

When the pain moves like that, it's a good sign!!

Your brain is just trying to scare you with movement of symptoms. Don't be fooled. it will catch on to the fact that you are not afraid and then it will calm down.

Best, Howard

Picture of Cynthia Woodward
by Cynthia Woodward - Sunday, 1 April 2018, 5:19 PM

I, too, have this issue.  It started two years ago.  It feels like I have a rubber band tightened around my upper ribcage from my stomach to my back. 

Have you found a particular emotion connected with this area of the body?