Site news

Vertigo ....TMS?

Vertigo ....TMS?

by Saoirse C. -
Number of replies: 7
Hi Everyone , so i have TMS for 23 years following breaking my back. Anyway, I get many symptoms imperatives such as IBS, Psoriasis, bruxing/grinding, chronic fatigue, and frequent urination. I have also got a bit dizzy at times annd in the past two months I have got what I thought was a frequent migraine, headache, sick tummy and dizziness but it was just a nuisance. Two weeks ago on the morning of my 20th wedding anniversary, I woke up to violent and acute dizziness, nausea and I could not stand. The room was spinning and I felt I was being flung around by the ankles. I developed a headrace that would not stop. I had to stay propped up for the weekend could not even get down the stairs my anniversary weekend was ruined. It got worse and I went to my GP what a car ride that was. She diagnosed me with BPPV Vertigo and gave me sirc 16 x3 a day and stemitil x3 daily. She said I could not work and I took 10 days off. I had to go back last Friday and Saturday and thought I would collapse and puke it was dreadful. It is improved by just staying still and lying down.
Now the back story is as you can see from some of my posts I have done the programme and am o9n my second round but I was improving in the past 4-5 months I started weight lifting with my physio and the night before the vertigo attack I squatted 90kg and dead lifted 70kg like more than my own weight. I have not lifted a vacuum in 23 years. I was lifting my dogs doing normal stuff and losing my fear. I felt hopeful invincible and had reduced my drugs. Since the vertigo my pain and increased 10 fold and I feel anxious and down and so far from who I was just 3 weeks ago. My husband thinks it could be TMS as I was kicking its ass after so long and he wanted me to write this . The doctor says it could take weeks or months and" its very bad especially for someone with a fragile back like yours, what if you fall"!!  I have also had 2 Epley adjustments done on me.I left miles from a town and my husband works we work 1 hour away as I can't drive I am so isolated as no one has dropped up -family shit-. I am asking Dr Schubiner if this could be another TMS decoy? I am now taking more pain killers , spraying freeze sprays and using nheat and ice on my back as well. Please help it was going so well. I can't sleep and all this is building up in me again.
In reply to Saoirse C.

Re: Vertigo ....TMS?

by Cheryl H -

Hello, Saoirse,

I wish I had a great, magical cure for you. I sure wish I had one for me! I just wanted to write a quick note to say you are not alone. I have had debilitating IBS for years now and just this past year it has gotten totally out of control. Even after the program (twice) and seeing a TMS therapist for almost 3 years now. I have stomach pain that keeps me in bed and prevents me from any kind of life I want. My therapist says it helps at times to try and connect in your mind with all the people in the world that are suffering with chronic pain and know that you are not alone. Doctors have tried many meds that don't work, diets, etc. Pain pills help but they won't give them. I would write more, but I am just too miserable. Just know there are other like you out here and be kind to yourself. I am working on changing these painful neural pathways....my only hope. I guess all I can do is send you hugs, and say I am so sorry. I know it hurts! 

Cheryl

In reply to Cheryl H

by Dianna Cunningham -

I would like to see what Howard says but I think it could be TMS because you were doing so well and your subconscious doesn't want to give up. However not being a doctor it's hard d to say. I'm like Cheryl in that I've been working on my tms for a long time. I have gotten a bit better here of late but I always expect the pain to come back and it usually does. We are with you in spirit hoping you will get better and make progress. Cheryl I pray for you every day and I'm glad to hear from you although I wish you were better. I love you gals!

In reply to Dianna Cunningham

by Cheryl H -

Dianna, 

Your kind words mean so much to me, I hope you realize that. Thank you! And I hope the same for you.

Hugs, Cheryl

In reply to Dianna Cunningham

by Saoirse C. -

Thank Dianna 

I am fully convinced my vertigo is TMS as it gets worse when my6 ever present stress rises. But I am still getting dizzy and still I am worried about falling. But I have started self-talk to it and I am putting my best foot forward ; there is no plan B for me this is what it is. I have been doing TMS for a year and a half so I guess I have up times and down times nothing is forever. Keep safe TMS Crew member hugs from Ireland 

In reply to Cheryl H

by Saoirse C. -

Thanks Its crazy how bloody clever TMS is , I too get IBS its a pain in the %'@~ LOL I have to laugh at this moment in time as I feel Like Henny Penny in the nursery rhyme and the sky falling on her. I really am grateful for the reply it makes me fee we are all in if not the same, similar boats.

In reply to Saoirse C.

by Howard Schubiner -

Yes, this is another manifestation of TMS. I see this all the time. Great thanks for Cheryl and Dianne for responding with kindness and compassion.

Your brain is playing tricks on you, by creating a new symptom to scare you. Don't be fooled!! Be strong and you will get better!!

Another way to look at it is that your brain is afraid and is causing all of these symptoms due to that fear. When a child is afraid or is injured, our response is to soothe the child and give them a lot of love. That is another way to deal with your brain, as if it's a wounded child. Talk to your brain and soothe it (and yourself, of course); give compassion and caring to your brain (and to yourself).

Best, Howard

In reply to Howard Schubiner

by Sarah Colucci -

I am also going through vertigo. I am an otherwise healthy 32 year old. During a highly stressful time in my life I woke up to disorientation and dizziness. It felt like I was having a stroke.

I also had severe migraines at the time. Later, I developed severe positional vertigo that would happen when I was on the phone (tilting my head) or looking down. I was anxious, depressed and sad.

The BPV was treated but then i just felt a constant 24/7 dizziness (rocking, swaying, earthquake dizzy sensations, etc) Neurologist said I had migraine vertigo. 

I was working through the exercises and feeling better and over the last 3 days have had a migraine and today, my vertigo is back!!

I am so scared, depressed and feel like maybe they are not catching something!