Site news

very little interaction on this forum

very little interaction on this forum

by Toni Arenstein -
Number of replies: 6

I guess there is very little interaction on this forum so might be best for me to use the TMSwiki. I started this program this week but feeling very alone and very overwhelmed with it. Spending much time each day with all the reading, watching videos, writing, talking back to my brain and the pain,  It's very hard to do all this. I have been out of work for 7 weeks. I am 66 years old and have never been out of work for being "sick" for more than a few days in all those years. I want to go back to work but I am afraid of the pain. I have difficulty sitting because of pain in my leg but I could try to talk back to it. But I also have a very stressful job as a diabetes educator. I work in a family practice clinic that serves mainly poor people that has 1500 patients with diabetes. I am basically the only diabetes educator and the physicians are dependent on me for helping to manage these patients. Don't want to go on about this but it's so much work and I am afraid of all the stress. before the onset of the acute crisis with the pain, I was in pain with sitting and would have to get up to relieve the pain. We have diabetes group each week and we each make a short term goal and my goal kept being to schedule an appt to see a doctor about the pain but kept putting off because of being too busy. So maybe I should have stopped my life a little and then I was forced to stop my life.  I want my life back so bad. So I was so happy that I could not use the walker and could get on the subway but now I really want my full life back. I am afraid it will take a lot longer. Maybe I should be posting this on the TMSwiki because I really need support. 

In reply to Toni Arenstein

Re: very little interaction on this forum

by Jackie perkins -

Hi Toni,

You are right , sometime there is very little interaction on this board.

All I can tell you is this too will pass and you will get better. 

Also I would try emailing Dr Schubiner directly.  He doesn't check this

board on a daily basis.

The TMSwiki board has several therapists you can connect with and 

ask questions . Daniel Lyman is very good.

Good luck and best wishes,

Jackie

by Maria Roegiers -

Hi Toni

I'm new to this program too. I'm Belgian, 63 years old.

I have been unable to work for the last 8 years because of cfs and fibro.

I'm familiar with meditation and with being kind to myself, I'm a Yuan Gong (qigong) practitioner and I think this program will help me deal with emotional stuff that is stuck in my system. Although I have a lot of time, I feel that it'll take me longer than 4 weeks to go through the program; my body and mind need time to digest everything that comes up and is revealed by doing the exercises.

Toni, from what I can gather from your post, there is a lot of stress in your life. Wanting to go back to work as soon as possible may add to that. Could you relax into accepting the situation as it is, that you are incapacitated now? And maybe see this time as an opportunity to work on yourself with gentleness?

Good luck!

Maria.

by Howard Schubiner -

Hi Toni.

I agree with Maria. You do seem to be a bit hard on yourself. This is common among those who are "helpers."

I don't agree with Dr. Sarno completely that one needs to completely stop all treatments.  Physical therapy can be helpful for some people; I have done it several times myself. Not getting the epidural is probably a good idea though.

Please be kind to yourself and take this process slowly. Too much pressure on yourself is counter-productive right now. Have a mix between time for yourself, time working on the program, and time doing things that are productive in general, whatever fits for you right now.

Please ask any specific questions. You are not alone. You will get better!!

Best, Howard

In reply to Howard Schubiner

TMS Diagnosis

by Richard Rick -

Are there any recommended TMS Dr.'s in and around Va,, driving distance hopefully, to get a TMS diagnosis.  I must have a confirmation to help me move on.  I would prefer to see Dr Schubiner but unable to get to Michigan any time soon.

Thanks!

Rick

In reply to Richard Rick

Re: TMS Diagnosis

by Cheryl H -

Have you checked out the list of tms practitioners on the tms wiki site? There are two MDs listed for VA. Good luck, Rick.

Cheryl

In reply to Richard Rick

Re: TMS Diagnosis

by Howard Schubiner -

Yes, the tmswiki.org is the best site to find practitioners interested in TMS.

Dr. Andrea Leonard-Segal is in the DC area and she's great.

Best, Howard