Site news

My TMS is fighting for survival...

My TMS is fighting for survival...

by Kelly Dugger -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I have been suffering with Interstitial Cystitis for over a year.  After reading Dr. Sarno's "Healing Back Pain," my bladder pain went completely away, immediately!  The past 3 days, I've felt better than I've felt in a year.  It was amazing.  I started cautiously eating some foods that are triggers, and was overjoyed when they didn't cause pain.

A couple of days into the course, my body/mind rebelled.  My pain is back with a vengeance - worse than it's ever been!  I also have other new symptoms - very severe gastrointestinal, knee pain, back pain - it's incredible really.  I'm having a hard time focusing and believing that the true cause is my mind.

I know the course says that the pain may worsen and move around, so I'm trying to keep the faith!  My mind/body doesn't seem to respond to my self talk anymore, so I'm just listening to the lectures over and over again.  I was so elated the last few days, this is an extra blow.

Anyone else experience a full-out war by their mind?  Anyone else with IC?  Thanks.

In reply to Kelly Dugger

Re: My TMS is fighting for survival...

by Howard Schubiner -

Hi Kelly.

Thanks for writing and for doing this work.  You are experiencing the incredible power of the mind! 

When you ignore a child with a temper tantrum, it will go away; but before it goes away, that child will increase the ferocity of the tantrum to try to maintain control over you and to try to scare you.  This is exactly what the TMS brain does.  It is called "extinction burst" and it's caused by the brain realizing that it's losing control over you to frighten you.  Your brain truly believes that it's "in danger" and that you are "in danger" and is acting like it; producing severe symptoms to relay this message to you.

It is up to you to realize that you are NOT in danger and that this is just the brain.  It is very important to realize this and know this at a 100% level!!

You need to be able to separate from the pain and relax knowing that you are going to be fine; 100% chance that you are going to be fine.  The fear and doubt get in the way of recovery.  You need to be able to yell at the pain, ignore it, and even laugh at it; just as you would a bully who is trying to scare you.

Sometimes, in trying to stop the pain, we tend to focus too much on it, which can be counter-productive.  So, it is often best to treat it like a temper tantrum and completely ignore it, while focusing on being happier and knowing deep in your soul that you are OK.

Does that help?

Best, Howard

PS This is completely true for "IC", which is a completely TMS symptom!!!

In reply to Howard Schubiner

by Shailaja Neelakantan -

Hi, 

I just joined this group. I'm trying to figure out how to post a question on this forum. I'd be real grateful if you could tell me. I searched the site thoroughly and couldn't find it.

Many thanks!

In reply to Kelly Dugger

by Fiona Jack -

Hi there.  ,

I don't know if you are still around but every time I start working on my TMS, my symptoms rebel. The last time I did something like this, I started talking to the symptoms. The more I talked to them the more they morphed.  When I got rid of my lower back pain, I must admit, I stopped doing daily work, using the Stop method when symptoms became aggressive. However, I have been managing myself and not really doing a day to day practice.  No matter what I did I could not get my energy back and my loving husband has been trying to push me to take drugs, so I have started the online program. I purchased the book, Unlearn Your Pain, but kept on falling asleep. Maybe another TMS response? I fell asleep while reading Dr. Sarno's books as well and watching his lecture on DVD...... The Gupta Programme.....zzzzzz. Never connected it to TMS until now.

Started Unlearn Your Pain online program yesterday and the activity was actually quite amusing - sinus, running nose, and tinnitus.  But today, is the kicker.  After doing my second day of exercises, I had a shower, did the dishes and went to practice the Piano, which I have had a lot of luck with teaching myself online. (I have a great teacher). I wasn't aware of having a scrambled brain but when I started to play... Nothing came together.  My fingers stumbled through pieces I have had no difficulty with, making more mistakes along the way.  Another symptom ? Probably.  My first thought was - How could I lose so much in one day? - My second thought was - TMS!  I have had so many symptoms that I can soldier through the pain, tingling, burning etc., so my brain has to be creative to make me take notice. For example, I won't respond to stomach pain unless it feels like I should be hospitalised.  A favourite of my TMS symtoms is nosebleeds.  Stops me dead in my tracks. I have to pay attention to them.

I also have been looking at Dr. Schubiner's book about Anxiety as I believe everything, for me, stems from anxieties and learned fears from childhood, just below the surface.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diagnosed 2010 Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Had some form of Irritable Bowel Syndrome since childhood. Absolutely refuse to accept this as a life-long sentence!

All the Best,

Fiona