Site news

Lack of Emotional Issues

Lack of Emotional Issues

by Janine Peachey -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, I've been through the course, and even though I tried to do most of the exercises, I struggle with the emotional expression part.  My life has been relatively secure, and I really, honestly don't feel I have suppressed emotion.  I tend to express my emotion, and get it out there.  I also don't fit a lot of the personality traits, because I am fairly easy going etc. 

I feel that my symptoms are the result of a physical problem that I did have, and a physical therapist helped me overcome to a large degree, but my body has developed a habit of pain.  I relate to the part of this course that encourages the talking to my brain, that I won't tolerate the symptoms anymore, and noticing and letting it go.  But when the pain is severe enough it's very difficult to ignore it.  I am experiencing fairly constant headaches, although the pain does move around to other parts of my body also.

On page 65 of Dr Sarno's book "Healing Back Pain" he writes:  On the other hand, in the great majority of people with TMS, about 95 percent, the anxiety level and the reasons for it are much milder, and they experience no emotional reaction when the pain disappears.  One has the impression is these cases that the mind has overreacted to the anger and anxiety, and the defense wasn't necessary in the first place."

Any suggestions as to how to focus my attention for recovery?  Do I need to keep digging into emotional issues?  I haven't made a much progress with the pain as I would like, even though I am gaining understanding of it.

Thank you for your attention.

In reply to Janine Peachey

Re: Lack of Emotional Issues

by Bob F. -

If you haven't yet, go to http://www.healingbackpain.com and order the DVD of Dr Sarno's lecture series and sit down and watch them. I found the information in his books gelled as I watched the DVD. 

In reply to Bob F.

by Janine Peachey -
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that. I want to throw everything I can at this problem.

by Howard Schubiner -

Thanks for writing, Janine.

Everyone is a bit different and not everyone will need to use the exact same process.  Many people get better by just understanding this work; many need to do the behavioral work that you're doing in separating from the symptoms, some need to make changes in their lives in some real way, and some need to do emotional expression work.

You'll have to decide about which methods make the most sense to you.  If you have a therapist, she or he can be helpful in this regard.  If you don't feel that emotions underlie your pain, then doing emotional expression work may not be best for you.  It can't hurt to explore these areas though as sometimes there are some issues that we thought were behind us.

Sometimes, it's really a matter of truly believing in this model and making a commitment to living freely without the fear of pain and the fear of the future.

Let us know how we can help going forward.  There are many great comments on this forum if you dig back into some of the threads.  Check those out.  Most of us have been exactly where you are!

Best, Howard

by Allison J. -

Hi Janine,

Maybe check this guy out:

http://www.runningpain.com/

Though the website seems to be for runners, it's really for anyone experiencing TMS. He doesn't agree that everyone needs to delve into deep emotional issues. He feels that often TMS is the body's reaction to the strains and stresses of every day life. His message is helping me a lot.