Site news

Hi Everybody

Hi Everybody

by Jannah S. -
Number of replies: 1

Hi everybody. Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the course. I feel lucky to have come across Dr. Schubiner's work recently after reading an email about a women who was suffering chronic fatigue and who was making improvements since starting the program. I am very eager and hopeful about applying techniques to my own life. I would say my quality of life is high in that I am financially stable, have a loving family and live in a safe country, however in many ways my quality of life in terms of joy and peace are low because I spend much of my time trying to manage symptoms and have developed what some might consider an eating disorder, which impacts heavily on my relationships and my social life. However, food at this point in time is the only way I have been able to manage my symptoms. I follow an 80/10/10 diet by Douglas Graham which is basically a raw food, low fat vegan diet. I actually don't mind eating vegan because of compassionate grounds but I wish there was room to enjoy other treats without spiralling downwards. I seem to react badly to gluten, dairy and sugar which I know are all inflammatory. i don't handle supplements too well - I went through a time where I was obsessed with supplementation and probably spent thousands of dollars. Currently I am going to a Chinese Dr, I have been for  6 months with no huge improvements. I also worry about deficiencies in the long run. Anyhow, I have always assumed my problems may be psychosomatic but to me they are real and I have never known what to do about it. My symptoms include acne, anxiety/depression, fatigue, introversion and sever menstrual pain. There have been times where my depression manifests as an angry rage and it scares me a lot (I thought I might even be schizophrenic). I find it interesting that Dr. Schubiner talks about rage. Generally speaking I'm not an angry person, very quiet and shy. I could already see that there are many things in my past which may be unresolved so I am looking forward to working through these.  

In reply to Jannah S.

Re: Hi Everybody

by Howard Schubiner -

Thanks for writing, Jannah.

My opinion is that the foods you are eating that trigger symptoms are not doing so because they are "inflammatory" but because you are fearful of them and your brain reacts to them with symptoms.  I believe that you have been fooled into thinking that foods cause a macro-inflammation immediately, as opposed to a micro-level of inflammation that may be harmful several years in the future. 

As you work through this program, you will be able to gradually re-introduce even "bad" foods into your diet without reacting to them.  But you will have to fully believe that they won't harm you before you start that process.

Regarding anger and rage, you will learn to express those in safe and healthy ways (when alone or in writing), in order to release those feelings that you may have harbored for many years.

Let us know how we can help.

Best, Howard