Site news

Having ups and downs

Having ups and downs

by T Fitzpatrick -
Number of replies: 1

I have foot pain.....particularly in the peroneal tendon area on the outside of my left foot.  I have used this program for other pains successfully.  So, when I had the onset of this pain, I went to see Dr. Schubiner and he said he was pretty sure it was MBS.  

I have been working the program and have had successes and then days when it hurts again.   Yesterday and today are those days when it is hurting again, and I am feeling depressed, I guess.  I am having thoughts like, "it will never go away", "there's something really wrong with", "I'll need surgey" and then I get caught up thinking about all that.  Which I am sure, from a TMS/MBS perspective just makes it worse.  

But my brain and emotions seem to be stuck. today.  Have other people hit these walls in their recovery?  How have you been able to get beyond these "downs".

Thanks

In reply to T Fitzpatrick

Re: Having ups and downs

by Phrog H. -

Dealing with the ups is easy, because then your brain is not busy trying to tell you to focus on the pain as a diversion.   I know it sounds simplistic, but when you are in the "down" side of things, you need to try to distract your brain from putting up the diversion.  The only way I have found to do this (and I have had too a few times over the past 30 years )  is to give your brain something else to do.   Only you can find what that thing is.  For me it has always been to think and act outwardly.  Find a project or activity that you can immerse yourself in.  It may be something physical that tends to bring on the pain, but don't let that stop you, especially if the activity itself doesn't offer you the luxury of constantly taking your own pain pulse.   I have always found that if I immerse myself in other things, the brain trains itself out of the  pain cycle.  Just my opinion.