Site news

MBS temp. relieved by chiropractic?

MBS temp. relieved by chiropractic?

by Rachel izzo -
Number of replies: 3

Hey everyone, new here. I'll try to give the brief version of my story:

Perfectionist, type A personality all through my childhood, gymnast, developed eating disorder etc. Became an elite olympic weightlifter in 2008. Had severe MBS symptoms from 2009-2012 that involved fibromyalgia type symptoms, but that started with a shoulder and low back injury that lingered. 

The majority of those symptoms were dissipated when I learned that my mind actually influenced my body (who would've though?!) I started meditating to Dr. Joe Dispenza in 2012 and a lot of my major MBS symptoms went away.

However, since 2014, I've been plagued with injuries that "linger." I strained my rotator cuff weightlifting (during a snatch) in 2014. Then, I strained my rhomboid shortly after that. that summer, my right SI joint was sprained, very similar to my 2010 injury that started my full body MBS symptoms.

Since then, it's been a ricochet of symptoms back and forth, like whack a mole. One thing heals, then the next thing pops up again. I've repeatedly strained my left rhomboid, my right SI joint and had issues with my right shoulder. I never had any imaging done, because there wasn't really any need to do anything since I never had an impact injury, except in 2014.

Last year, I sprained my right SI joint again lifting, and then strained my low back moving a patient (I'm a nurse) shortly after that. 

My question is that I see a chiropractor and PT and I do get temporary relief. My chiro says that my right hip rotates forward and needs to be adjusted.

I have seen physical changes in my body, and look lopsided, like the muscles are pulling in the wrong directions. The issue is that NOTHING has relieved the pattern. I've done consistent chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, physical therapy, everything and the pattern still persists. I have been told by multiple people that it's my right hip, no it's my left, no actually it's because of your left foot, no it's because your forearms are too tight, and most recently because my left molars don't touch in my mouth. Whatttt.

The point -- even though I can see structural changes, are these still likely MBS? If I get temporary relief from treatments but it comes back, is that still likely MBS? And, if they are MBS, would seeing practitioners actually reinforce the fact that I think something is wrong, and continue the pain in my body?

Also to note -- I had a TREMENDOUS amount of stress and trauma from 2011 through last year -- 3 sexual assaults, one that ended up in 2 legal investigations, made front page news in New York, and ended in a lawsuit that kept the trauma in the forefront of my mind for 3 years. I also went through nursing school during this time (stressful) and had other major life stressors (meaning that these were emotionally traumatic years as well as physically challenging).

Thanks for reading!

In reply to Rachel izzo

Re: MBS temp. relieved by chiropractic?

by Howard Schubiner -

You are asking a great question, Rachel.

There are two ways to understand this process:

Here's one view: The stress of MBS is making the muscles tight and that causes the imbalances that they are seeing. They correct them manually, but they recur because the underlying mechanism (MBS) is still there. When you work on the MBS, you won't have these imbalances.

The other view is this: These imbalances are normal and are not the cause of your pain. The pain is due to MBS and these findings are irrelevant. But you can see them and when they are worked on manually, your brain allows the pain to leave temporarily (a placebo effect), but then the pain recurs due to MBS.

I can't tell which one of these (or some combination of the two) applies to you, but you may be able to tell. It doesn't actually matter which one is the culprit as the answer is the same: work on MBS; don't worry about the symptoms; make them not dangerous in your mind; you will get better!

Best, Howard

In reply to Howard Schubiner

by Rachel izzo -

That makes sense. So, from your experience, you haven't seen that these issues cause the amount of pain and dysfunction I am seeing? I worry because for olympic weightlifting you have to be super spot on in body alignment when you're lifting heavy weights.

The thing I also noticed is that when I was younger, I fell on my head, hurt myself in soccer, did twists turns whatever in gymnastics and never had any long standing chronic issues from any of those injuries. Only in recent years has it happened, which makes me think it is MBS...

In reply to Rachel izzo

by Lor Prudhomme -

Hi Rachel, 

Welcome to a tremendous program! Parts of your story connect to me very closely...I hope you are open to the process and know you can heal yourself.  Remember you did not ask for any of this to happen to you.  You are strong and amazing.  Sharing your story helps me in knowing I am not alone...Those of us able to comprehend and know what is going on can be healed and gives hope.  

You can do this Rachel.  I started the program two years ago.  I ended up seeing an amazing pain psychologist who helped me learn about myself.  It opens doors I was unable to do so by myself.  The program works in many different ways. 

You on are on the right path,

Best, 

Lor