Site news

IBS....TMS

IBS....TMS

by Marion Webster -
Number of replies: 11

Hello brave comrades :-)

I write this time with a question for any who have had success treating chronic IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), root cause TMS. I could use encouragement from any here who have succeeded using this program and Dr. Sarno's advice for TMS . I wrote earlier about how very much improved my health is , thanks to this program and Dr. Sarno's work. I have literally gotten a life that I never imagined , with hardly any pain, and much goodness in my life now. 

That being said, I have long accepted an extremely dysfunctional intestinal system , affirmed also by some conventional and holistic doctors over the years, who could not help. I have been taking an assortment of supplements for a long time to bring on necessary function. This is since age 30 - when , interestingly , my body suddenly went into a big 'stop functioning' crisis, when the emotional numbness I always lived with since childhood, began to lift, as I was getting therapy help for those years. Now I understand this bizarre physical reaction! My brain was doing its TMS darnedest to divert me from unearthing some painful emotional memories.  I am now 67.

I am currently going through some testing due to recent IBS flare ups that need attention...The testing prep itself  is difficult and discouraging, and I realize that going forward , it might behoove me to address this seriously with this program and TMS recovery plans! Daunting , given the number of years, and degree of longterm dysfunction - is it worth the effort? Will this even help? And yet, the aging process is not in my favor for this to even stay at a 'status quo'. So maybe it IS worth the effort!

Any advice, related experience is appreciated! Apologies for the somewhat unpleasant subject, but if TMS is the diagnosis, for some of us it manifests all over the body and its functions.  Thanks so very much,

Marion

In reply to Marion Webster

Re: IBS....TMS

by Howard Schubiner -

It's hard for me to comment too much without more information, Marion. But if you're talking about a bowel prep, I know that won't hurt you. I've had that several times and if you need a test to make sure that there is nothing wrong, that is worth it for the peace of mind.

Then you can move forward with treatment in the TMS approach.

Make sense?

Best, Howard

In reply to Howard Schubiner

by Marion Webster -

Thank you for your reply, Dr. Schubiner. Actually yes, the prep is difficult, but worth it as you say. Something is wrong and has been for a long time. This test is examining things in a more extensive way, so there will be likely be useful information after it is done. But I still am convinced that the route cause is TMS , so I think I need to get more fully back on the program to address the chronic TMS in this area. 

I think I have heard on YouTubes and read in Dr. Sarno's books that IBS is typically a TMS issue, therefore using TMS treatments would be indicated. I thought maybe someone here might have had some success with that issue. But I think my story might be a little daunting, just the topic itself, and also not real clear , as you said.

Your and Dr. Sarno's programs have helped me SO much with less chronic, but still difficult pain issues, that I plan to proceed again with focus and determination on this issue.

Thank you again for all you do for so many of us!

Marion

In reply to Marion Webster

by Cheryl H -

Hi Marion,

IBS is my TMS. I too have almost constant abdominal pain for about 7 years now, and here and there throughout my adult life. I am about your age now (good to know I’m not the only senior)It has been diagnosed as IBS, chronic stomach pain, and most recently visceral neuropathy. I’ve had all the texts and they show nothing. I have taken probably all the conventional medications for this with no relief.

I hesitated to answer you, not because it is an unpleasant subject but because I am still struggling with it. For at least the last five years I have been treating it as TMS, and have been seeing a TMS therapist with FaceTime for over 4. I did have success with Dr. Schubiner’s program before starting therapy and was pain free for about 3 months but then BANG, it was back. 

I never suffered a big trauma and had a normal childhood. But I am a highly sensitive person, introverted, and tend to be anxious. It is like my fight or flight switch was turned on and I can’t turn it off! I now meditate, do easy yoga, am constantly reading anything new on mind body medicine and practice self compassion. I can say that I handle the pain better( I used to go in complete panic when it got really bad). I am still working on ways to change neural pathways and have periods of relief which I am grateful for. 

I hope your test went well and hope you go on with the TMS path. Please keep us updated and I’m here anytime you want to “talk.” I’m NOT giving up despite the long duration and my age and I hope you don’t either. I have no doubt I have TMS but I do get discouraged and wonder at times if it is possible to get better after all these years or if I can indeed really make new pathways in my brain and quiet down the pain signals. 

Cheryl

In reply to Cheryl H

by Marion Webster -

Thank you SO much for writing Cheryl,

I am inspired by your continuation of this program and the other self care things you do....I agree, we much not give up, and attention to TMS and its ways in our body/mind/spirits can only be helpful one way or another, I think.

I actually do not have much pain , so mine might technically not be IBS - I don't really care the name. The problem is overall chronic dysfunction - enough said. My functional medicine doctor is on a good trail I think, going for root cause on the physical level. But I know I have carried stress, buried emotions, in my belly area for most of my life, so treating my TMS in the various ways that have performed miracles with my more acute issues (pain in joints especially) , feels important to continue.

Wishing you and everyone here blessings of better and better health,

Marion

In reply to Cheryl H

by Asmita Arora -
Hi Cheryl

I hope you are doing good.

IBS is most commonly a lifestyle disorder that is Ofcourse aggravated by stress. Since you mentioned you are one anxious person and get sensitive about things I could totally relate to it. Anyhow, do you drink or  smoke or maybe sleeping disorders ? 

Consider those points cause as much as TMS is to be blamed the lifestyle is equally to be taken into perspective. 

In reply to Asmita Arora

by Cheryl H -

Hi Asmita,

Nope, no drinking, smoking or sleep disorders. I talk to a terrific therapist, meditate, do gentle yoga, feel my emotions, practice self compassion and read up on latest mind-body, Neuroplasticity research etc...

Not everyone’s journey with TMS is the same. Fear is the #1 enemy and something I now notice and soothe. Wishing you the best.

In reply to Cheryl H

by susan fields -

Hi Asmita, You are very correct. Fear is the greatest impediment to overcoming TMS. I have had several TMS Symptoms over my lifetime. The ones that I was able to overcome are pretty much in the past. It is the new ones that are hugely challenging, because I keep doubting--becoming fearful and panicky that this time there may be really something wrong that no one was able to find. It is almost a way of punishing myself--not allowing myself to relax and enjoy. I have always had trouble with vacations--free time, etc...because it is in those empty times that the fear crops up. I had urinary symptoms on and off for years and they were so severe, it was difficult to believe there was nothing wrong. Once I received pretty convincing proof that there was nothing wrong with me, another symptom took over--and I am again finding it difficult to believe that this is TMS--doubting everyday that such severe symptoms are just an expression my fear and emotional pain. But I know from experience that TMS can create some pretty dramatic and convincing symptoms. Best, Susan

In reply to Cheryl H

by Asmita Arora -
Well

I hope you are doing better now. 

Doing a good job of ignoring your fears would certainly help. 

At your age it could be the food. Taking treatments would be of great help along with self healing techniques. If it is stomach ache it could be some gastric disorder some food item might be getting in the way of digestion like meat or something. 

In reply to Asmita Arora

by susan fields -

Asmita, Sounds like something I had for two months a while back. Was certain it was something serious. Worried a lot about it, thought it was the food I was eating--until I got a sinus infection and suddenly the gas, constipation, diarrhea, etc. disappeared as though it never existed--and I am eating all the same stuff!  Now I have sinus pain (took Augmentin for ten days and doctor said I am clear) followed by a post nasal drip, and nausea--along with no appetite--and gagging and coughing. I had this about a year ago and it pretty much went away when my doctor gave me klonopin which I took for three months. Allowed me to eat, gain weight, and feel better. After that I had terrible fatigue in the mornings with muscle pains (but am as physically strong and no pain when moving or carrying things) was sure I had something wrong. Blood tests, etc. nothing. Still feel tired a lot from the symptoms and worrying. I can see now how my brain keeps switching the symptoms to keep me from letting go of it all and enjoying my life--there's always a "but" in my mind telling me there is something wrong that no one has found--or that I am just cursed in some way. I will add that I have had problems like this since childhood--torturing myself with worry. I am very ready to give it up--it's just too hard. Best, Susan 

In reply to susan fields

by Asmita Arora -
Please ask Dr Howard. I’m not the right person to advise about it. 
In reply to susan fields

by Asmita Arora -
How can we connect Susan ? 

Please add me on whatsapp 

+919988117288