Site news

Journaling

Picture of Gary V
Journaling
by Gary V - Thursday, 7 February 2019, 9:26 PM

What is the reason for journaling if Dr Sarno said it is the rage we are not conscious of that is the problem? Why does one journal, especially since the rage is unconscious? thank you

Picture of Marion Webster
Re: Journaling
by Marion Webster - Thursday, 7 February 2019, 10:17 PM

Hi Gary - My understanding is that stuffing the rage and not noticing it is the big problem. I notice it now as it comes up and find that the journaling is a good release to help me not to stuff it into my body as ill health and pain. 

Dr. Schubiner, I think you can explain this better! All I know is that I never even knew I had anger or rage (scared of it, I think), and now I notice it and get relief journaling on it , and my body feels better and better. I suggest: Try it and see if it helps!

Best wishes,

Marion

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Friday, 8 February 2019, 5:55 PM

Thanks very much, Marion.

I have found it useful in order to discover some things about my self and my feelings. Just being able to express feelings can be very therapeutic.

But, not everyone needs to journal. It just depends on what is going on within you and in your life. It certainly makes sense to try it and see if you find some things that are useful.

Feelings that are subconscious at one point in life can come to the surface when you look for them.

Does that help?

Best, Howard

Picture of Gary V
by Gary V - Monday, 11 February 2019, 12:24 AM

Thank you Dr Schubiner. Is the idea that by becoming more aware of these emotions/issues they do not affect one so much or is it about "releasing" them (whatever that term actually means). How does making them more conscious fit in with this paradigm? Thank you

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Friday, 8 February 2019, 5:55 PM

Thanks very much, Marion.

I have found it useful in order to discover some things about my self and my feelings. Just being able to express feelings can be very therapeutic.

But, not everyone needs to journal. It just depends on what is going on within you and in your life. It certainly makes sense to try it and see if you find some things that are useful.

Feelings that are subconscious at one point in life can come to the surface when you look for them.

Does that help?

Best, Howard

Picture of Marion Webster
by Marion Webster - Friday, 8 February 2019, 6:56 PM

Yes, it does help, thank you Dr. Schubiner.

I personally have resisted journaling, thinking of it as keeping a nice neat journal. But once I got over that (perfectionism rearing its head again!), and realized its purpose, I get much relief by putting pen to paper or typing a note and letting my angry little girl have the angry tantrum she's been holding in so long. And I like what I learned in your program in this book. I always end with something positive going forward - the new awareness and real truth of my situation NOW. And lastly I make sure that immediately I delete or tear up what I wrote, usually not good for anyone to see, since it is yucky childish stuff that I just need to release, but don't want to hurt anyone who might find it!

Thank you also, Dr. Schubiner for your kind words to all of us on this thread. We have learned well from you , our fearless leader! :)

Marion

Picture of Gary V
by Gary V - Friday, 8 February 2019, 7:53 PM

Dr Schubiner,

Is the idea to basically make the issues and emotions conscious as opposed to "releasing" them. Releasing seems to be a very generic term some people use and I am trying to understand the reason for journaling.

Thank you