Site news

I BELIEVE

I BELIEVE

by Christopher Dacunto -
Number of replies: 18

Goodmorning to all my fellow TMS journeymen and women.  I have recently begun the program and do fully believe that I have this Syndrome which is effecting more than one area of my body.  My problem is I keep feeling anxious about the program and my mind starts to back pedal as to whether I have  the Mind Body Syndrome.  I know intellectually that I indeed do suffer from this condition so why does my mind keep trying to tell me different.  Is this another another trick of the subconscious.  I am also having a tuff time thinking that I should discontinue my stretching and physical therapy as I feel it does have some benefit even if it is not curing the problems I am having as it does get me moving and the blood circulating.  Any advice or word of wisdom  is welcome and greatly appreciated.

In reply to Christopher Dacunto

Re: I BELIEVE

by Cheryl H -

Hi Christopher,

That is only one part of your brain telling you otherwise. It thinks it is protecting you. Just tell it, “thanks for your opinion, but (here you can improvise) butt out,” and remember that is just a thought passing by, they are impossible to control, all we can do is notice them. You are on the right track! I would continue with physical therapy if it makes you feel better, it seems it is good for you!

Best, Cheryl

by Dianna Cunningham -

Christopher; Cheryl H is absolutely correct. Your brain will always doubt that it’s TMS. We’re trained in our society to believe everything associated with pain really has a physical cause so of course we doubt ourselves when it comes to the tms diagnosis. Just keep telling your brain it’s TMS. You can’t control all your thoughts but you can make some new ones. It’s also helpful to see if you can kind of just not care. Easier said than done, I know!

As far as continuing your physical therapy I would do it because it’s always great to use your muscles and you can always learn new things. But know that you’re not doing it to help the pain, you’re doing it to improve your overall physical fitness.

Best of luck because you can do this! This program has a large history of success.

Dianna

In reply to Dianna Cunningham

by Tim Hutton -

Hi Christopher,

When someone encounters an illness or some misfortune in health, often there is a beginning and end to its resolution. A broken arm is set in a caste and in time the caste is removed, and life goes on pretty much the same as before.

I can only speak for myself, but for me TMS has the force and capacity to totally rearrange one’s life. Not that anyone asks for or desires this overhaul, but because pain is such a relentless, effective and fundamental motivator of change, the potential journey for someone who has encountered TMS can fundamentally change their life. I have found that change to be brilliantly graceful and rewarding. The rearrangement of one’s life is not really in its circumstances, but in the way one relates to those circumstances, beginning with how one relates to and responds to the sensations felt in the body.

As far as I can tell, the vast majority of people sooner or later bail from the journey, opting out of the challenging and often lonely path and opting back into the much more densely populated path of conventional methodologies, which includes medical support and encouragement, medications, surgeries and its typical endless concessions to a less than satisfying life. Mysteriously, people seem hand-cuffed by the pull and conventions of society and a longing to be part of it. It’s so strange because if society as a whole was packed with happy, satisfied and fulfilled people – one would have to be crazy to not want to be part of that. But it isn’t. Not only isn’t it, but it is filled with the opposite. So why then would anyone have trouble ignoring what a vast population of unhappy, unfulfilled people have to say.

When seen clearly in its raw simplicity, it is so simple to not be attracted to listening to a group that is not only not succeeding but failing again and again. Putting effort into and paying attention to how mainstream medicine deals with chronic pain is as ridiculous as travelling to Cleveland to learn about how to win a super bowl. The Cleveland Browns have not only never won a super bowl, but they’ve even come close because they have never even been involved in one.

The reason I am focusing on the dynamic of conventional medicines false view of chronic pain, along with its life-negating beliefs as to its causes and treatments, is because if you had never heard of these beliefs they would arise in your mind as persistent doubts.

The typical scenario is this – a person comes upon the discovery of TMS and there is a resonating that takes place within. From a place within they intuitively recognize they could have TMS. Almost immediately the mind, with its underlying interest in survival and fitting in says, “No Chap. This pain is not TMS. You are injured. You have a deficit that only modern medicine can heal. This TMS is wishful and foolish thinking.”

That’s it in a nutshell. The mind always opposes the intuition. Even many people reading this do not believe in such a thing as intuition. Yet intuition is a life saver. Eventually a stand has to be taken and most people go with team mind. though it’s a team that never actually wins, it seems powerful because it is so vast. Whereas team TMS is very tiny, relatively non-existent.

This is very important. I hope you are still reading this and if so, you should read the expression of this next principle more than once: There is a very fertile ground, a potent ground of a person which is very receptive to the honest pondering of questions, much more so than it is to the entertaining of beliefs. Instead of saying within yourself ‘I believe I have TMS,’ Without holding the idea up as a belief just question ask yourself, simply and with ragged honesty, “Is really it possible that these horrible pains I am feeling in my body are being generated by what some doctors are call TMS?”

For me the questions went like this, again not beliefs but in the form of questions – “Is it genuinely possible, that the horribly, torturous, life ruining and painful physical experiences that I saw my mother endlessly go through, that tormented her throughout her life, is it possible that is was really TMS, treated by doctors with drugs as though her condition was caused by physical defects and inadequacies.“ “ Is it possible that all the pain in my mother’s side of the family, including her my grandmother, two uncles and many cousins, had its origins in TMS, but was subsequently treated with drugs, surgeries and other therapies?”  “Is it possible that my lot in life is not what I grew up fearful of and believing it would be, but that I can live a strong, healthy life free of the painful burdens that in fact surround me and my family?”

The answer for me after giving myself enough time for the questions to be fully absorbed, was Yes. After long struggles the questions were replaced by the gift of seeing.

There is a unique quality that is generated when seeing takes place. It is very discernibly distinguished from the weaker characteristics generated by a belief. For example, I cannot feel that I am fully or adequately expressing myself if I say, “I believe that I exist.” I see that I exist. Belief hasn’t the slightest iota to do with it. I exist and belief has nothing to do with it; belief isn’t a part of it. Beliefs do not need to be a part of your journey through TMS. Perhaps while learning at first beliefs can inform you but they should quickly turn into the simple asking of questions. Questions are so clean; when honestly asked they have no agenda. The mind can be open and receptive to the questions. Beliefs are very weak compared to the potentially rich outcome of asking questions.

The existence of the dynamics of TMS within your body can be recognized or seen to exist. It can be seen to exist when the questions have soaked through and saturated your being to the point where the pull and impact of false beliefs and doubts are eclipsed by and give way to the recognition or seeing of the effects of TMS existent in your body.

It is important to understand that doubts will always be there. They never go away and when understood correctly it is recognized that there would be no advantage in their disappearance. They will always be there because they are not really yours, they are not exclusively your doubts. They are the residual and inevitable artifacts of living within a society that in many ways thrives on false beliefs that run counter to the truth revealed by TMS.

So, the doubts always exist, its just that they eventually become obsolete that you no longer really pay much attention to them.  If I were to say ‘I have no doubt about TMS’ that is just a more convenient and less wordy way for me to say that I allow only the smallest amount of my attention to be placed within the arena of false beliefs regarding my body. I know what the world believes. I don’t need those beliefs to change. There are numerous great examples of this dynamic. For example, I also know that there was a time when almost everyone believed that you earth was flat.  Eratosthenes didn’t (26 BC).

I know these posts are long, but the truth of TMS is a very painful and people deserve fighting chance to be relieved of it.

I hope you stay with team TMS Christopher.

Your friend,

Tim.

In reply to Tim Hutton

by Christopher Dacunto -

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement they have not fallen on deaf ears.  I am starting to realize that the human mind is so much more complex then anyone’s can possibly imagine and the potential for harm and or good it can do to us through out our lives is immeasurable..  I am moving forward who,e heartedly into this program and trying to keep my doubting mind at bay.   I do believe that the mind has the power to cultivate all the symptoms I am having and that I ultimately have TMS.    Again thank you for this response as I was having a difficult morning.  This letter was just what I needed  to stay motivated.

In reply to Dianna Cunningham

by Christopher Dacunto -

Again great advice and it is so wonderful to know that this community is so supportive of its members.  I am in this  journey for the long hall and your words of encouragement keeps the flame inside me burning.  Thank You.

by Tim Hutton -

Hello Christopher,

I am very glad that you’re able to feel the support expressed through this forum.

My passion to express what I have learned about nature of TMS stems from the brutal fact that my wonderful mother, along with the entire side of her family, including my uncles and cousins, as well as my own siblings, experienced and/or still experience horrifically impacted lives due to the conventional understanding of pain and its beliefs regarding it cause and treatment. I first discovered TMS about 18 years ago. I live a full, free and athletic life and I am deeply grateful for all the courageous pioneers who were able to bring out the truth and hold it up for others to see for themselves. Because of their efforts we have the fortune of being able to rest on their shoulders as we catch for ourselves the vision of the truths they brought to the forefront. People like the late Dr. Sarno, and Dr Schubiner are heroic.

Many years ago, a chiropractor wanted me to purchase about $4,000. worth of equipment to use regularly at home to treat what he believed to be one of the worst spinal structures that had ever personally filmed on x-rayed. His opinion carried a high degree of conventional authority and impact because he was highly regarded and worked with a few members our local professional basketball team, the Utah Jazz. I had been struck as a pedestrian by a speeding truck and my spine looked like the left-overs of a war zone. Today my spine still looks precisely the same. Ironically, from time to time I still see that chiropractor, only it’s not at his office, but at the local gym. I’m friendly, but we don’t have much of a dialog. I’m not certain but I assume he can’t help but notice throughout all these years that I am more and more effortlessly successfully engaged in the very exercises that he directly and specifically warned me against doing. One thing I am certain of…when you pull the pants down on authority figures it rubs them the wrong way.

One thing I've learned from my journey through TMS, is that it has taught me to think for myself. To ask myself, time and time again, "What truly and most deeply resonates within me as true?" "Forgetting anything and everything that I have ever heard, been informed of, imagined or taught to believe, what does that which is alive within me, most value as true?" 

More than anything else, I am grateful for what that persistent inquiry has shown me. 

When the deep pain of TMS came into my life, it acted as an an immovable and enormously motivating factor, because I became willing to face whatever came up to get rid of that pain. The horrible pain! I could barely move and could not breath deeply, because of the pain. The pain was humiliating, debilitating and destructive, but ultimately it became only the destroyer of all the trash, false concepts and beliefs regarding my relationship with my body and the potential of the human being. Not my human being, but the potential of very dynamic of human being itself. Nothing unique to me, but unique to the very specific dynamic of human being itself. It is very powerful when that potential is discovered as nothing exclusive or specific to an individual, but something residing within the heart of the nature of human being itself.

Best to you Christopher and we hope to hear from you again,

Tim.

In reply to Tim Hutton

by Marion Webster -

Hello Tim and Christopher and others here,

I have not written here for quite some time, and feel now the urge to write in why: I am so hugely better than I have ever been, that I am busy living life! With huge thanks to Dr. Sarno, Dr. Schubiner and others who teach us about TMS, and help us so kindly. 

In the fall of 2017 my OT recommended I get Mind Body Prescription by Dr. Sarno. She read me like a book and I now consider her an angel sent into my life. I felt like I was on every page of the book, which I have heard often in the TMS community :-)

Eventually I bought this book / program, Unlearn Your Pain, all the while listening to Dr. Sarno , Dr. Schubiner's and others' You Tubes over and over, learning learning, amazed at the new understanding I was getting about my whole life, colored so significantly with ill health and pain. Here I am in my 60s, with a new lease on life, my 2nd grandchild on the way - such a joy and a blessing!

I am not by any means out of the woods - gut issues prevail, they were the first to appear many years ago. But I am sure it is all TMS, I fit the profile exactly. I reentered therapy to go deeper into healing the childhood trauma that Dr. Sarno's words convinced me were still stuck in my body as pain and ill health. Not fun, but essential I can see and effective. 

Debilitating joint pain are a thing of the past - no more endless PT , OT appointments, disability, tears, hopelessness, etc. etc. It really is remarkable!! I take vigorous walks and still make other healthy choices that I have learned along the way - not trying to heal broken parts, but to take good care of myself. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis - I am 67 and in good company I figure. I choose not to take those drugs recommended to me with big unwelcome side effects. I have a compression fracture in my spine I am told , lalso not uncommon at my age, which does not concern me. I have no pain, and know that the body breaks down as we age, AND, as Dr. Sarno says, we can still stay strong and active - this is how we are built. I help my bones with nutrition and exercise and good supplements , and I don't worry (unless I make the mistake of listening to someone who tells me I should worry!). 

Something that has really amazed me is the stories I have read and heard like Tim's about spines that show really big abnormalities (Nicole Saks is a good example - YouTube her - amazing TMS recovery!!), and yet those people who work with their TMS are fine, active , and without pain - This is quite fantastic I think and gives me a good feeling about the aging process :-)

The amount of money  I have spent over many years to regain health and get out of pain is staggering. My big message is : don't give up, do the journaling, when you feel anger / strong emotions, take note, cry, write about them (with swears if needed , then erase or tear up!) - no more stuffing them into the body. Read and study, study and read about TMS - join the TMS private FB group, Do the work in Dr. Schubiner's book, all of it imperfectly and as you can day by day, do his  meditations, give less and less fearful attention to symptoms - "think psychologically, not physically" as Dr. Sarno says (I love that!) - start doing more physical things you haven't been doing, slowly. If you know you have TMS ,you are so in the right place!! Bravo - we are the Lucky Ones!!

Many have had amazing recoveries which I have found so inspiring and I am so grateful to you, Dr. Schubiner and Dr. Sarno, for speaking out on this for so many of us who have suffered so long and couldn't find the help we needed, though Lord knows we tried!

Blessings , everyone, we are all pioneers together ! :-)

Marion

P.S. I just reread this, and I am astounded - I never ever thought I would be writing something like this , ever!

In reply to Marion Webster

by Tim Hutton -

Hi Marion,

Long time no hear from. I’m glad to know your moving forward!

I think the spine is the most vulnerable location within the body for the mind to superimpose false concerns on. It was so easy for me to develop anxiousness round and fester those ideas into a truly disabling conditions. Sarno stated that the engineering of the human spinal cord is much more than sufficient than we give it credit for in our current ‘bend this way don’t bend that way’ mode of talk and thinking. He stated that the spinal cord is so well designed that even if its strength were compromised via a little this or that, it is still far more than capable of handling the loads we subject it to. In his recorded video when a participant asked, “How do you know if a weight is too heavy to lift?” He responded, “If you can lift it, it is not too heavy.”

In the 20/20 John Stossel program on Dr. Sarno (available via youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsR4wydiIBI  ) Dr. Sarno called these abnormalities “Normal abnormalities.”

The author of “The Great Pain Deception,” Steve Ozanich, used an x-ray of his own apparently deteriorating spine right on the cover of the book. Though it is wrapped around a yin yang symbol, he states that it is in fact an x-ray of his spine. Steve spoke of how debilitating even just the simple visual of your spinal cord can be.

Thanks for sharing your update Marion,

Tim.

In reply to Tim Hutton

by Marion Webster -

Dear Tim, Christopher, and Cheryl,

First , Tim . thankyou for those fascinating insights about the spine - so helpful and reassuring and do resonate as truth - yay! Thank you also for the welcome back and the well wishes.

Christopher and Cheryl, Yes, Keep on keeping on , one day at a time - I am still doing the same. It seems in my case at least that TMS wants to show its face when it can, so I need to stay mindful of the TMS tendencies long practiced in my years and stay the course of this wise promising program.

So yes, we are in this Together, it is a beautiful thing and there is great hope!

Blessings,

Marion

In reply to Marion Webster

by Christopher Dacunto -

What a great story and I am truly so happy for you.  I to have spent quite a good deal of money on different modalities to cure or at least curb my symptoms.  Some help a little while most have had not lasting effects.  I have been told I have numerous aliments, with no proof, as anything I have been told I have can not be tested for or there is no cure.  At other times I was tested for illnesses that I was ultimately told I did not have.  My latest diagnosis’s are mast cell disease and  chronic pelvic pain syndrome, which both have no know n cure and each in there own right can be debilitating; which I can attest to.  Needless to say I am elated to have found this program and have a therapist who is willing to help guide me as I pursue this course.  Now all I need to do is continue to work diligently in strengthening my DLPC and calming down my ACC so my automic nervousness system does not activate the symptoms I am experiencing.  I will succeed.  Sending blessing to all who have healed and those still on the journey such as myself.  

In reply to Tim Hutton

by Cheryl H -

Tim, 

Your post gives me so much hope at a time I am greatly dispairing.

Thank you, Cheryl

In reply to Cheryl H

by Christopher Dacunto -

We can do this Cheryl.   We just need to follow the pioneers before us  and put our noses to the grind stone.  Keep posting, as I will,  through this journey and with the support of each other we all can learn to ease or emotional reactions and concur or subconscious mind to again live life to the fullest.  George Lopez would always say on his show “I got this”  well I say “we got this”.  

by Howard Schubiner -
Well done everyone!!
I'm speechless; have nothing to add and I'm so proud of all of you!!

I will say this though. Anything that reduces the danger signal in the brain will reduce pain, such as stretching and PT exercises (if you believe on a conscious or sub-consious level that it will help). 

And anything that increases the danger signal will tend to increase pain, such as certain movements or the weather or any other triggers.

So, if you replace your stretches and PT exercises (gradually over time) with kind and caring and firm assertions that you are well and that there is nothing wrong with you, then you will be free!!

Best, Howard

by Howard Schubiner -
Well done everyone!!
I'm speechless; have nothing to add and I'm so proud of all of you!!

I will say this though. Anything that reduces the danger signal in the brain will reduce pain, such as stretching and PT exercises (if you believe on a conscious or sub-consious level that it will help). 

And anything that increases the danger signal will tend to increase pain, such as certain movements or the weather or any other triggers.

So, if you replace your stretches and PT exercises (gradually over time) with kind and caring and firm assertions that you are well and that there is nothing wrong with you, then you will be free!!

Best, Howard
In reply to Cheryl H

by Tim Hutton -

Hi Cheryl,

I remember years ago when I was more active on this forum and you were always so generous, kind and gracious.

I don't see a lot of the post these days, as I think I am only subscribed to the 'Site News' portion and even at that, for some reason that I don't understand, sometimes I can only respond via my cell phone like at this moment right now. I saw your post and pulled my car over to reply because I know how much you have contributed to the well-being of this forum. I adore the kind of tenderness that shows up on this forum and a lot of that has come directly from you Cheryl.

From years of working with this it has only becomes more and more obvious that there is something very active and alive within a human being that causes one to resonate with the truth...It knows truth when it sees or hear of it. That intuition, gut feeling (or whatever you want  to call it) is a particular and essential kind of genious that we share.  When we really listen to that part of us it initially comes as a sort of relief, but soon its truth is thrust vigorously against the current trend of thinking. This causes it's own unique kind of conflict. 

But clearly understanding the nature of this conflict empowers us with the capacity to ground ourselves in this more brilliant part of our being which resonates and wants to move with the truth. Clearity teaches us  where to place our feet in order to get the most leverage when dealing with the natural chatter and inadequacies of the mind.

It is very important to look for ourselves, even if we've been involved for years. I do this for myself regularly. Freshly give yourself the space to look once again as though you were embarking on this journey for the very first time when it was new. See the simple, clear fact that most of the great discoveries that we know of today, came from people who learned to listen to that knowing part of themselves. Albert Eistien is an absolutely spectacular example of this. He clearly knew of the minds place with respect to the more evolved and fuller knowing that comes from the depths of within. He wrote and spoke much about it. Dr. Sarno is an excellent example of this.

You have been a big part of this community for the years. There is only one reason you are involved...(and I should ad tenderly, generously and graciously involved) and that is because your symptoms are classic expressions of TMS. There is absolutely "no question" that you resonates with and know the truth of what this is all about.

Believe it or not and I know how bizarre this may sound, but right now, at this very moment, you are Fully 100% aware that your symptoms are that of TMS. AND you also know that you can Fully recover. But this knowing creates a conflict and you hurt like hell because of the conflict that is generated when you know what I just wrote is true and yet you feel obligated to take this understanding to the authority of the mind to get it's approval. I know this is the source of conflict, because every human being does this unless and untill they clearly see cycle of this painful loop and grow to understand that the mind isn't nearly bright enough to comprehend this, much less is it equipt with the capacity to approve of it.

Taking the truth of the heart to the mind and asking for it's approval is like taking the sun to the moon and asking the moon if it approves of the quality of the sun's light. The moon has no light other than that which it receives from the sun. It really doesn't know the first thing about light. In fact It can only seem to shine on it's own because the sun keeps endlessly shinning it's light on it! 

Science is all about authority, yet when compared to the knowing hwart it's a relatively punny and arrogant authority, because its discoveries always and only ever give way to yet further discoveries. I think intellectual discoveries are fun to watch too, but so often the people that are involved seem oblivious to the endless nature of their activities. I am Interested in what is true right now, about the nature of the human being. That which is fundamentally true right now about the very nature of human being will always be true, it will never become obsolete. Yet the world at large is obsessed with endless chasing, seeking and thinking. Through thought it worships the mind and its so called authority. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so painfully true and it's all at the expense of the heart. Very, very painful.

Trust your heart. It always and only ever says "Yes" to truth and it does it Now. You know it and your knowing on it's own is enought. It needs no validation. Be your own authority. There is nothing wrong with you, you are  as fully equip right now, to know and stand up in this truth as anyone who has ever been born. All those who have ever known what I am talking about, know that it's not about becoming more qualified, it's only EVER about deciding it's time to stand up, be your own damn authority, roar from within and let the world do it's own thing. 

Let's chat sometime further if you'd like. It is hard for me on this tiny phone.

Your friend,

Tim.

In reply to Tim Hutton

by Cheryl H -

Tim!

Yes, to everything you wrote here. I do know in my heart what is true, and then there is that part of my brain that makes me question my own authentic self. TMS, as painful as it is, is a powerful teacher about ourselves if we listen.

I am grateful for your input and everyone (including of course the good doctor) that is part of this group.

Together in our "adventure,"

Cheryl

by Liam Black -

I think you are obsessed with this :) New acquaintances and visits to new places that will cause you positive emotions should help you!