Site news

Emotional pain

Picture of Cathy Armet
Emotional pain
by Cathy Armet - Sunday, 7 October 2018, 4:20 PM

Hi, I've been doing the course for about 6 weeks. I'm taking it quite slowly for a number of reasons. I'm amazed at how strong my emotions are sometimes. They are so painful sometimes, worse than the physical pain! I'm guessing that's partly the point of TMS - we get physical symptoms to mask the emotional ones to stop having to deal with them because they're so painful? On a positive note my physical symptoms are generally much better though I do get flare ups. I'm getting better at spotting the triggers and being aware of the emotions linked to them. I just get scared though sometimes because the emotions can be paralysing and sometimes overwhelming. I'm now seeing a TMS therapist which is helping. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that this is a normal part of the process and I won't feel like this for ever?! Thank you.

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
Re: Emotional pain
by Dianna Cunningham - Sunday, 7 October 2018, 6:21 PM

Cathy if you’re having symptom reduction already you’re doing just great! As you dig deep into your emotions you’ll find that you can feel overwhelmed for sure. This will pass as you face your fear which can be quite difficult.

And remember too you can be pain free and the symptoms can come back at different times of stress so don’t freak out!

Good luck!

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Thursday, 11 October 2018, 3:54 PM

Thanks so much Dianna for your wise words!

You're right Cathy in that the TMS pain occurs when we are fearful of feeling certain emotions. This work is to train your brain to see that emotions are not dangerous; that you can feel great anger, guilt, sadness and fear without worry since these emotions are normal and healthy to experience. 

By the same token, this work is to learn that the pain and other physical symptoms are not dangerous either; they are caused by neural pathways in the brain and can be reversed.

You are doing great!! Be brave and keep going; but do this work gradually so that you don't overwhelm yourself. You'll get there.

Best, Howard

Picture of Cathy Armet
by Cathy Armet - Sunday, 14 October 2018, 9:52 PM

Thank you very much, Howard and Dianne, for your helpful and reassuring replies. I'm seeing my therapist on Wednesday and I'm hopeful that I can work through some of the powerful feelings I've been experiencing. I can't believe how many emotions and issues have become uncovered during this work, things that have been buried so deeply for so long. It's a cliche but it really is like peeling back the many layers of an onion! Thank you for your support. Best wishes, Cathy