Site news

Arthritis/joint pain or something else?

Arthritis/joint pain or something else?

by Sean Tracey -
Number of replies: 7

I have recently been diagnosed with arthritis in my left hip. I have some obvious (to me) external rotation of the hip which is causing knee issues and ankle issues. this has been going on in some form or fashion for 5 years. At first, I thought I was clenching at night in my pelvis area (which I still think that I do) and this was causing the issue. My hip/pelvis is popping or clicking from time to time when i get out of bed. I tried to ignore it for some time but finally went to orthopedic. I also have pain in elbow joint on left side and wrist joint on right side. Also there is significant tenderness in my elbows if I bang elbow or even put my elbows on a table with any weight on them. I work out hard so my muscle strength is good. I am also staring to get some strange feeling in my fingertips and my right big toe is painful when I push off. It is not gout, no redness or swelling. I am putting this all together and wondering if it is all part of the same problem. Arthritis or something else. I also for about the same period of time (five years) have notice that I have episodes of inflammation all over my body where I can actually feel the swelling. My feet hands can swell up and even my face can be bloated at times. I do have some food allergies which I have been attributing some of this to. I have had 100 TMS symptoms so I have been treating this like TMS but I am wondering of something organic. Any thoughts would be appreciated it. 

In reply to Sean Tracey

Re: Arthritis/joint pain or something else?

by Howard Schubiner -

Hi Sean.

I can say that the greater the number of TMS symptoms one has had in their life, the greater the chance that what you're now experiencing is TMS. 

I can also say that the greater number of symptoms you are having now, the greater the chance that these are TMS.

So, just putting that together, this sounds like TMS.

Also, the burning, tingling, swelling are all common TMS symptoms.

Does this help?

Best, Howard

In reply to Howard Schubiner

by Dianna Cunningham -

I think also that because you have a lot of different pain in all different areas could mean that there is a good chance that it’s TMS.

Keep in mind too that almost everybody over thirty five has some kind of osteo arthritis but not everybody has pain!

Just a couple of thoughts to keep in mind.

In reply to Dianna Cunningham

by Sean Tracey -

Thanks Dr. Schubiner and Diana,

One clarification is that I have pain in wrist on the right side when I press my palms flat. On my left side it feels like I have strained my elbow area and there is pain/stiffness/tenderness. I don't think changes anything. Numbness and tingling rarely get my attention anymore because I have had them so much. Numbness and tingling will come out of nowhere, try to scare the bejesus out of me and when I don't react will go away. Since these are new symptoms with multiple locations  including one real diagnosis of hip arthritis and real loss of range of motion I think it got my attention. Weirdly when I do pushups no pain in palm area...If I didn't have real loss of range of motion in the hips that has now lasted for several years I would think my hip is also MBS. For SURE it is worse when I am stressed and tight which is why I was treating my hip as MBS for so long without really getting it worked up. Orthopedic said right hip was the same so he didn't understand why it is so much worse on the left. He also was surprised I didn't have pain with the range of motion loss.  He said I must be tough. These are all red flags for MBS to me. 

In reply to Sean Tracey

by Howard Schubiner -

Just to note, I have decreased range of motion in my hips, more so on the right side. And for a while, I was having significant hip pain, but now I'm fine. I still have decreased range of motion though. I don't worry about it. I got a hip X-ray and it was fine!

So, decreased range of motion can be normal, part of getting older or being male or not doing enough yoga!!

Best, Howard

In reply to Howard Schubiner

by Sean Tracey -

Thanks Dr.

I am hoping that will happen  to my hips. I just note that my hip x-ray showed arthritis plus the loss of range of motion. I have been treating like TMS so we shall see. 

In reply to Sean Tracey

by Brenda Anderson -

Please take care of yourself and take the medicines properly and don't worry everything will be good.

In reply to Sean Tracey

by Brenda Anderson -

For arthritis, some patients prefer cold therapy to moist heat for arthritis pain. Ignoring arthritis will not make it go away, but dealing with it can improve your symptoms and prevent further degeneration in the joints. People also prefer massage therapy to get relief from arthritis pain. One of my friend's mother was facing arthritis and she was not in a condition to afford the treatment cost so she consulted the healthcare experts from The Health Exchange Agency and they offered some Medigap plan called bcbs medigap and by using this plan she was very satisfied. These healthcare experts offer the plan which suits the patient's requirements and gives the facilities at an affordable price.