Site news

New student with fibromyslgia

Picture of Vanessa Summersford
New student with fibromyslgia
by Vanessa Summersford - Monday, 11 June 2018, 3:43 AM

Hi everyone, im a 47 year old female who lives on the Gold Coast in Australia.  Ive had fibromyalgia for 18 months and its changed every aspect of my life.  It came on after an emotional split from my husband ( we are still together and still working on things).  I connected with a video i saw online. As i was watching i was thinking thats me.  Ive tried doctors, natural therapies, i had a 2 week admission to a Pain Clinic, Ive read a mountain of books, joined online support groups (made me feel worse), changed my eating no gluten no dairy and juicing,  I can only do yoga and gentle walks now ( where i once was pretty fit and went to the gym), i have to manage my reaction to cold weather, i bought a tdsc machine, i do guided meditation etc etc.  Im irritable alot and can fly off the handle.  Im easily angered but deep down im a calm kind thoughtful person.  So i figure its time for me to dig up lots of ugly stuff as im sick and tired of playing out the past in my head.  

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
Re: New student with fibromyslgia
by Dianna Cunningham - Monday, 11 June 2018, 5:37 PM

Vanessa welcome to the program. You’ll find a lot of hope and healing here. I have a friend with fibromyalgia and I’m getting her into the program too. 

Dig into your emotions deeply. You will find all your answers there! Good luck to you. 

by Vanessa Summersford - Monday, 11 June 2018, 10:04 PM

Thank you Diana.  Ive realised the.link to my emotional response to things and fibromyalgia.  Now I understand the pain 'isnt real' its all about neural pathways ive found hope.   And ill take a dose of that anyday. 

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
by Dianna Cunningham - Monday, 11 June 2018, 11:20 PM

And remember you might have to go back in the past and revisit stuff that might be unpleasant. I had some abuse in my past that I had to go back and think about. I basically ran from my emotional pain because it was so scary for me. In my life there really was the boogeyman. So I had to go back and realize my whole life was about running from that. Once I stood up to that, things got easier. It took guts and nerves of steel but I got there! You will too!

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Monday, 11 June 2018, 6:33 PM

Yes, welcome to the program, Vanessa.

You are right where you need to be. 

The first step is to understand that our brains create our internal sensations, including pain. Fibromyalgia is pain caused by the brain in the absence of tissue damage in the body (at all). So, once you really get that, you will be able to start reducing fear of pain, worry about pain, and focus on living your life.

Let us know how we can help as you forward.

Best, Howard

PS Thanks Dianna for your kind and thoughtful comments!!

by Vanessa Summersford - Monday, 11 June 2018, 11:21 PM

Thank you doctor,   being told there is hope of me regaining my.life alone is helping. By tellying myself 'im ok' and "the pain isnt real' has already reduced my pain.  Im excited to be undertaking the course.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  Thank god i came across your youtube lecture.