Site news

Leg Pain? Confidence needed

Picture of Karen Zavora
Leg Pain? Confidence needed
by Karen Zavora - Monday, 8 January 2018, 3:54 PM

HI there, 

I am a 37 year old mother of two and started having nerve pain in both legs after hurting my back seven months ago picking up my one year old.  I have tried all the stereotypical things of course.  I do have a L5/S1 herniation and loss of disc height.  I have been working TMS for the past two weeks and have seen some success.  My ankle had been hurting for no reason and I've been able to make that go away.  My problem is that since I've started being more active and been sitting/bending, etc, my pain has increased, especially at night.  It's this horrible ache/nerve pain that goes down through my hips/glutes and then into the back of the thighs, calves, and also in the front thighs and knees.  I am just losing my confidence and worrying that somehow this is related to my "injury" or something.   Bending/sitting/ don't seem to cause any horrible symptoms while doing them, but when I'm resting the pain seems to amp up. 

If anyone has any encouragement, support, etc. I would love to hear it! 

Picture of cali letts
Re: Leg Pain? Confidence needed
by cali letts - Monday, 8 January 2018, 6:02 PM

I too just started the program.  I think we should keep in mind Dr. Schubiner's reminder that this process may take time to take effect.  It will be different for each of us.  For myself, I know that it is important to be patient and let the process go where and when it will.  Hang in there and be patient and compassionate with yourself.

Cali

Picture of Stella Polaris
by Stella Polaris - Monday, 8 January 2018, 9:03 PM

Hi Karen,

leg pains were also my primary TMS issue, and I was also very impaired at times after walking, doing exercises etc. First I was diagnosed with arthrosis in the knees because the pain was in the middle, but then it spread and spread. What was noticeable, though, was that it was always very symmetrical, and this made me wonder because arthrosis pains can never be really symmetrical and apparently aren't. Could what you feel really be the result of the injury you've mentioned, when you think about it closely? The brain is very good at making the pain plausible, but what you're describing is so all-encompassing that it doesn't sound at all like a physical issue. The strength of the pain is alarming and makes one feel that there must be something there, and I would never have believed that I could be this handicapped for no physical reason, but I've largely overcome this pain in the course of a few months. I am certain that you will also make good progress and that the pain will recede, and you'll get the life back that you deserve. For me it was, and still is, a remarkable journey, and I wish you all the best on this path. Do keep us posted :-)!

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Saturday, 13 January 2018, 12:59 AM

Hi Karen and thanks for writing.
Please send me the report of your MRI results. I should be able to help you interpret them. It is very unlikely that the disc bulge is causing that kind of pain, and it is very important for you to know that in order to recover. When there is doubt about a possible physical problem, it allows us to go to fear and prolongs pain.
Best, Howard
Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Saturday, 13 January 2018, 12:59 AM

Hi Karen and thanks for writing.
Please send me the report of your MRI results. I should be able to help you interpret them. It is very unlikely that the disc bulge is causing that kind of pain, and it is very important for you to know that in order to recover. When there is doubt about a possible physical problem, it allows us to go to fear and prolongs pain.
Best, Howard