Site news

Can I Do This Alone?

Picture of Lin Jones
Can I Do This Alone?
by Lin Jones - Monday, 27 November 2017, 7:37 PM

I am 54 years old and suffered from lower back pain fairly consistently between 2004 and 2007. I consulted various local physios, chiropractors, osteopaths and, finally, in late 2006 an orthopaedic surgeon. Nobody could explain the cause of my pain but I was diagnosed (following XRay & MRI) with L5/S1 disk degeneration and told that my options were pain management or back surgery.

In February 2007, whilst still considering my options, I slipped on the stairs at home and slid down on my backside. Despite being quite heavily bruised I noticed that the lower back pain had immediately disappeared. Indeed, my back was then totally pain free from 2007 until May 2016 when I went to a local physio for a deep tissue massage. Although the massage was no different to ones that I had had before, within a few hours I found myself in a lot of pain. Next day the situation had not improved and since that day my back pain has been, more or less, the same as it was in 2004 to 2007.

In June 2016 I consulted a local chiropractor and his initial diagnosis was a tight joint (SI?) that needed to be loosened-up by manipulation. But having had a number of treatments, with only short term relief from the symptoms, he started to become puzzled and sent me for a XRay. The Xray shows that one of my discs is worn and has told me that this is fairly normal for someone of my age and not likely to be the cause of my pain. He still maintained that the SI? joint was stuck and needed to be freed.

However, research on the Internet led me to having a brief Skype call with Dr Stuart McGill and I then had a very detailed assessment done by his ‘right hand man’ in the UK. This assessment concluded that the pain is not due to the physical condition of my back/SI Joints and that a Back Mechanic exercise regime was the way to go. I followed this regime religiously for 3 months but concluded that it made no difference at all to the pain.

Further research on the Internet introduced me to Dr Sarno’s books and a consultation with Dr Nick Straiton  in Brighton who is a medical clinician with an interest in TMS. Dr Straiton reviewed my XRays as well as a recent MRI and concluded that there is no physical reason for my pain and suggested  the Unlearn Your Pain material by Dr. Howard Schubiner. So here I am about to embark on the Mind Body Program.

I am very keen to understand a bit more about the program (eg is it presented in the form of videos or is it articles to read) and whether there is scope to be guided through the sessions and to converse with others about it.

Picture of Marion Webster
Re: Can I Do This Alone?
by Marion Webster - Wednesday, 29 November 2017, 5:25 PM

Welcome Lin!

I am also pretty new to this program . You are most definitely not alone, and I personally am really liking this program, going at a pace that is working for me (if you are interested in my 'story' , I have written in several times to the forum, feel free to read them.....).

Please feel free to write in questions , experiences - I believe they help us all! I am benefitting from periodically reading older posts, along with Howard's replies, learning so much about my real diagnosis, how to use this program to help me, etc. 

Wishing you all the best and the wellness that so many on this path do achieve!

Marion

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 3:43 AM

Thanks for writing, Lin and for your interest and courage to take this path!

I know Dr. Stratton and he's excellent. It sounds like you are now definitely on the right path for you.

The program consists of understanding and having conviction that you are not damaged; that you are healthy and can get better.

Then we ask people to start acting to focus on doing more things to live and enjoy life; and to worry less, think less, and care less about the pain!!

Finally, we ask people to assess for emotional issues and work on them by writing about them; and by expressing feelings as described in the program.

Please feel free to ask more specific questions to all of us, online.

Best, Howard

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Tuesday, 5 December 2017, 3:43 AM

Thanks for writing, Lin and for your interest and courage to take this path!

I know Dr. Stratton and he's excellent. It sounds like you are now definitely on the right path for you.

The program consists of understanding and having conviction that you are not damaged; that you are healthy and can get better.

Then we ask people to start acting to focus on doing more things to live and enjoy life; and to worry less, think less, and care less about the pain!!

Finally, we ask people to assess for emotional issues and work on them by writing about them; and by expressing feelings as described in the program.

Please feel free to ask more specific questions to all of us, online.

Best, Howard