Site news

Importance of a structured program and other tools

Picture of shweta ahuja
Importance of a structured program and other tools
by shweta ahuja - Monday, 6 November 2017, 6:16 PM

Hi All and Dr. Schubiner,

I have been aware of TMS and have known about it in depth for last 3 years. I have no doubt in the concept or the healing power from it. I have been able to reduce my symptoms as well and have been able to normalize the old and the new ones, ONLY by practicing two things: Changing the relationship with fear and being outcome independent.

Today, I dont let TMS take away my peace and freedom!

But I never exercised any structured program like Unlearn your pain, or SEP on wiki, or daily journaling or meditation. I till date dont understand its importance. Why is are we recommended do to all of this. I have been too far in this journey, 3 years now. I have 100% belief and knowledge. But still have lingering pain and new ones every now and then? Is it because I didnt do these exercises to accomplish that missing piece.

Why everyone talks so much about these programs? All I have done is go about living my life. Whats their importance?

Please explain so that I can internalize it.

Thanks,

Shweta

Picture of Howard Schubiner
Re: Importance of a structured program and other tools
by Howard Schubiner - Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 1:59 AM

Thanks for writing, Shweta. That's an important question and the answer has tended to divide the TMS community to some degree.

In my opinion, there is no one single right answer for recovery that will apply to everyone all the time.

That is why there are so many different approaches and programs that contain many elements. For some people at some times, the right answer is simply to know about TMS. For others, it's reducing fear and outcome independence. For others, it's journaling. For others, it's emotional processing and expression, such as ISTDP. Or compassion work, or EMDR, EFT, somatic experiencing, etc.

Or some combinations of the above.

I think that each person needs to find their own best treatments and follow that path. Spending too much time on the details of the treatment can even be counter-productive at times!

But that's why we're here as a community to support each other and offer advice. There is power in the numbers of people who connect for a common purpose.

Best, Howard

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
by Dianna Cunningham - Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 10:39 PM

I love your answer Howard. My two cents is that journaling and structure helped me to realize my stress was from trauma I experienced many years ago and I needed to literally face my fear to realize my physical pain reflected the darkness in my life that I ran from because I couldn’t face it. Once I realized that I learned how to face it and really look at how bad it was and to acknowledge it and that was a huge step for me. Not everyone needs to do that because some folks can really see where their  stress really is. I could not do that. I was too afraid so I simply repressed it and ran like hell. Well we all know that no matter how far you run, the darkness will find you and it did!

Hope this helps you understand my perspective which may be quite different from everyone else’s.

Picture of shweta ahuja
by shweta ahuja - Thursday, 16 November 2017, 6:01 AM

Thanks so much Dr. Schubiner. 

Based on your book, the source of pain is overactive or sensitized ANS. And that happens when the Amygdala is super active..I guess thats why all your and Alan's treatment is so much based on bringing feeling of safety back and reducing fear.

However, I always had this question. As per Dr. Sarno and his theories, Simply put….the pain is there to distract you from unacceptable, overwhelming, scary and even emotions that are perceived as dangerous.  Once you focus on feeling these emotions, the rest happens automatically without any intent on desensitizing anything.

What relation is there between Alan Gordon's work and Dr. Sarno's work. These two theories have always confused me and I tend to get distracted by what is it actually I am trying to do, reduce fear and turn off that danger signal or is it that I am repressing emotions and not feeling them enough?

Thanks,
Shweta

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Wednesday, 22 November 2017, 2:37 AM

Good question!

I think that we often need to do both: reduce fear/danger and allow emotions to be expressed. Some people do better with one or the other or both. Both are useful and that's why I teach both in this program!!

Best, Howard