Site news

Titrating off meds

Picture of Robin Voris
Titrating off meds
by Robin Voris - Friday, 20 October 2017, 5:24 PM

As I am using this program I am gaining the courage to shed a few meds. I recently weaned off of Zoloft and I am now down to .5 of Klonopin from 1.25. I am still on Lyrica and have a lot of shame about it. I know I have to go slowly to succeed. Sleep has been disrupted due to the benzo taper and I am roughing  it out but it’s been challenging not to let it get to me. I am, doing the workbook and living my life. How Can I reconcile my use of medication with the use of the program? I really want off of this stuff! Lyrica especially bc I suppose it’s symbokic for me. If I get better I won’t need it and since I’m still working through this I find it helpful. Plus I have to go one med at a time. Any advice as to how not to judge for being on medication while doing this program? I am in intensive trauma therapy and I know it might take me a bit longer as I have a lot to work through. Abuse, neglect, tragic loss of two friends, and a bit more. Any advice is welcome

Picture of Howard Schubiner
Re: Titrating off meds
by Howard Schubiner - Monday, 23 October 2017, 2:36 PM

Hello Robin. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of!! All of us on this site are extremely proud of you!! You are taking on so much now and the vast majority of people in your situation are not doing what you are doing!!

Please give yourself this credit, be proud, be kind to yourself! This process will take time and I prefer that you do not reduce or stop your medications until you are ready. There is no hurry on that. It is not harming you and you will get off of it soon.

Just keep doing the work of retraining your brain and you'll be fine. There will likely be ups and downs, but don't worry about that. Stay strong and brave. We have complete faith in you!!
Let us know how we can help.

Best, Howard 
Picture of Dianna Cunningham
by Dianna Cunningham - Monday, 23 October 2017, 7:51 PM

Robin you’re a rock star doing the program and all the other things you’re doing. There is nothing to  be ashamed of if you’re still on meds. Take it easy on yourself. This isn’t the Boston Marathon. This is undoing years of trauma, pain and stress. Hang in there girl. You’re wonderful.

Remember that putting pressure on yourself to get off meds is another way to stress yourself.

Picture of Robin Voris
by Robin Voris - Monday, 23 October 2017, 9:13 PM

Thank you so much for your encouragement. It means the world to me as this can be very lonely even in the company of a loving family. I try not to get discouraged by the flares which are sometimes very bad.  Do you ever give yourself a day off from the workbook? I recently was so triggered by a letter I wrote I couldn’t move on for a few days. It’s crazy how my body reacted after I wrote it! It’s hard still to fight thinking it was a dance class I took or something else I did! This site is amazing. I’m grateful for people like Dr. Schubiner and members like yourself. 

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
by Dianna Cunningham - Tuesday, 24 October 2017, 4:11 AM

Robin you are most welcome and yes its a great idea to take time off from the workbook and just relax.  Just completing the work is stressful and can actually create more symptoms!!  Just like the desire to get off the meds can actually create more stress.

When I did the program I asked myself questions like:  Am I doing it right?  What if it doesn't work?  What about this thought and what about that thought and I literally drove myself completely nuts.  That is why most of us will tell you to relax, take your medication as long as you need it, love yourself completely and do what's right for you.  

There were people on this forum who literally saved my life.  Tim Hutton was one and Dr. Schubiner was another as well as Cheryl B. and Cheryl H.  The gift of this forum is priceless.  I'm alive today because of these folks.

There are always people who care! 

Picture of Tim Hutton
by Tim Hutton - Monday, 23 October 2017, 11:11 PM

The best of humanity, caring, intelligence and empathy is active and engaged, again and again throughout this whole forum.  It is deeply validating and inspiring.

Thanks to you all and to Dr. Schubiner, for creating a place for this kindness to take place and to be sustained! 

The last sentence in Diane's post strikes me as so simple and yet so thunderously profound; "Remember that putting pressure on yourself to get off meds is another way to stress yourself."

Be a master of natural, interior gentleness; which always originates 'with and on behalf of’ yourself and then is naturally shared with others around.