Site news

Tinnitus

Picture of Sarah Colucci
Tinnitus
by Sarah Colucci - Monday, 9 October 2017, 2:31 PM

I have been working through the program and have noticed my headaches have been happening less and less. But in the last few days, I have developed tinnitus in my left ear. It's very hard to sleep and I am extremely anxious about it.

Also, my left ear has been causing me problems for the last seven months. I can hear it clicking, it feels full, I have major loud noise sensitivity. But, despite having every ear test imaginable, there is nothing medically wrong. My ENT doubts it's a Eustachian Tube problem because I have no hearing loss whatsoever. 

So, this would revert back to what one neurologist described as a symptom of Migraine Associated Vertigo. I've never really had vertigo, either - I do get these random- extremely intense,   dizzy rushes that seemed to have calmed down a bit. 

Why is it my left ear only? Am I imagining these symptoms? No one can give me a diagnosis that makes sense to me.  Even the migraine vertigo one doesn't seem accurate. Why is the tinnitus happening? I did see a chiropractor just before the buzzing started, but she says it's not related to chiropractic adjustment.

I really just want to feel like myself again!

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
Re: Tinnitus
by Dianna Cunningham - Monday, 9 October 2017, 4:32 PM

Sarah you certainly have some interesting symptoms and you’re not imagining any of them. That’s the weird thing about tms. No one can explain these symptoms from the right side or the left side. The reason you get crazy symptoms is your brain is still trying to distract you. As hard as it is to say try not to be anxious. You’ve been to the doctor and there’s nothing wrong. You’re okay, you really are. Your headaches are less. Yay!!!!

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Tuesday, 10 October 2017, 6:35 AM

Thanks for writing, Sarah; and thanks to Diana for that clear response.

When your brain stops producing one symptom (in this case, the headaches), it often looks for something else as a manifestation of the danger/alarm mechanism. Over time, you will train your brain to stop this, but it's common for people like us! :)

Please don't worry, as that tends to feed the problem. Know for 100% certain that there is nothing wrong (you've had it checked out) and treat it just as you have the headaches.

It will pass as well.

Does that help?
Best, Howard
Picture of Sarah Colucci
by Sarah Colucci - Wednesday, 11 October 2017, 9:38 PM

Yes, it does. It's just so incredibly hard to deal with because my brain will create a new symptom on top of what I already have, like dizziness, for example. Today I spent the better half worrying about Meniere's disease. I thought, "omg, I have aural fullness and I feel dizzy, this must be a Meniere's attack!"

I've been harping on this all day instead of looking at why I feel this way. I think I am an extreme case of stressed out nerves!