Site news

This symptom is beyond me..

Picture of Supriya Jadhav
This symptom is beyond me..
by Supriya Jadhav - Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 3:50 AM

Hi friends,

I am trying journaling everyday with ISTDP. But since last one week I am having increases amount of headache face and Tmj pain and I am ok with it since it's there for last 4 years. The foot pain reduced but suddenly I am getting urinary urgency with burning.. This is the worst symptom so far as I am always out for work. I don't mind having pain but this is really really awful. I know it is tms but I can't just sit with it like pain.. I have to use bathroom 10 times in an hour.. I am at wits end and scared that what if this is my new tims symptom.. I am done.. I have also stopped journaling.. I just don't want this symptom.. please help anyone..

Picture of shweta ahuja
Re: This symptom is beyond me..
by shweta ahuja - Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 5:19 AM

Hi Supriya,

I have had several symptoms in last 3 years and overcome many tough and severe ones, even before they turned chronic. I can give you only one advice, if you give it too much emotional response, what I hear in your message, it will turn chronic and stick around. In March of this year, I came back from a trip and my ears were blocked from a sinus infection on the way back. I fretted it so much that now its a new TMS symptom. A year back, I had severe pain in my kidney in the middle of the night that had to go to ER. I was laughing in the ER and was so sure that its another trick on my mind. I had two doses of morphine through IV but in 3 days it went away. 

So long story short, dont let this scare you and turn into a lasting symptom. Do what ever you can to distract your self from not giving it importance. Dont remember it, despite its existence. Complete authentic indifference to it.

I hope you get better soon.

Picture of Joe Christie
by Joe Christie - Wednesday, 9 August 2017, 2:20 AM

Sorry to hear. This can be a long, scary journey at times. Sounds like you got overwhelmed w anxiety - i've been there. 

Good job stepping back and taking a deep breath and pausing the journaling. There are many paths to relief so just keep feeling your way thru and dont be scared. Like other responder, i've had multiple issues that i've overcome. Just recently i couldnt sleep well due to restless leg syndrome, but once i remembered my tms techniques, it went away. I am a huge Dr Sarno fan as well and have read his books many times. You'll be ok in time. Let go...

Picture of Supriya Jadhav
by Supriya Jadhav - Thursday, 10 August 2017, 5:28 AM

Thanks Shweta, Joe. Yes Shweta, as you said I tried ignoring it , inspite of it being such a difficult symptom to be indifferent to .. And boom in an hrs time it was gone.. This mind tricks are really nasty. Are you based in India? I would really like to connect with you if you are.. Thanks for your great advice.

Picture of shweta ahuja
by shweta ahuja - Thursday, 10 August 2017, 6:07 AM

Glad it went away for you.

After I typed that message to you next morning I woke up with bad 10 on 10 pain in lower back. Something that had never happened before, but I guess its because I am so indifferent to my other older symptoms. It doesnt bother me. It only inspires me to be a better mom to my mind and body.

I am in CA. You can ping me at shweta.ahuja@gmail.com

Take care,

Shweta

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Friday, 11 August 2017, 3:17 PM

Hello Supriya and thanks for writing; and a special thanks to Shweta for your beautiful replies!!

What a turnaround! You went from complete despair to being symptom free in a very short time. That is an amazing demonstration of the power of the mind!!

Please remember this as you go forward.

Shweta, you are an inspiration to us all!!

Best, Howard

PS Would it be OK with both of you to use this example in some of my lectures? I won't be using any names or identifying material.

Picture of shweta ahuja
by shweta ahuja - Saturday, 12 August 2017, 9:19 PM

Hello Dr. Schubiner,

Thanks for your support. I would be more than glad to be of any help. Please feel free to use this as an example.

Mind over Matter!!

Thanks,

Shweta