Site news

So a good type of sore

Picture of Saoirse C.
So a good type of sore
by Saoirse C. - Friday, 24 March 2017, 8:56 PM

I am applying myself in this process and I have to say its a slow journey. I have got worse a lot worse at times ,more emotional and yes I am feeling anger. Its over 20 years so I guess I am finishing week three although it has taken me 5 weeks but I am doing it most nights and its in my mind self-chat during the day. Gosh I am learning so much stuff about myself for the first time really in forever...how self-sabotaging and self destructive and cruel I am to me. Anyway on a positive note I am so sore today I am struggling to get down the stairs ,In a good way . I went back to my physio yesterday and was confident in this process to start exercising , he has been taking care of my back for 15 years and has wanted to get me healthy and in good condtion for so long . So I said yes and  did it , I am doing twice a week with hime for an hour and swimming and walking in between. So Good on me. 

QUESTION I work away a lot throughout Europe and I am heading to Norway and Sweden tomorrow for several days busy busy busy . Howe do I fit my TMS writing, reading, self chat and mindfulness in???Any help 

Picture of Dianna Cunningham
Re: So a good type of sore
by Dianna Cunningham - Saturday, 25 March 2017, 12:40 AM

You might want to take a few days off from all the writing, etc. and then write yourself notes to remember to be mindful. Remember slow and easy is good. You sound like you're doing fantastic! I'm horrible at being mindful but I force myself to do it. Good job. Keep going!

Picture of Howard Schubiner
by Howard Schubiner - Saturday, 25 March 2017, 7:35 PM

Hi Saoirse.

I agree with Diana. You are doing fantastic work and you might want to slow down a bit. You don't have to work on this every day. In fact, it's good to pace yourself and relax; knowing that you will be OK. There's not doubt you are going to be fine. But it may take time and you must be patient. The brain often reacts with increased pain at times, especially when starting this work and when you begin to experience strong emotions.

Remember, your measure of success is not in how much pain you have to don't have: your measure of success is in what you are doing with the writing and emotional work, with the mindful awareness of body sensations and thoughts, with physical activities, and with getting back to living your life.  Focus on these things and the pain will take care of itself.

Best, Howard

Picture of Saoirse C.
by Saoirse C. - Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 6:57 PM

I do see your point of view, I seem to be black and white I've done it perfect of failed and that is a challenge. I won't use HAVING to do this a such a rod to beat myself with because I actually enjoy it I just push a bit too hard with a lot of things a never cut myself some slack. Thanks guys I'm just tired of the pain, anxiety fatigue IBS and all the lovely array of illness that TMS gifts you with . LOL
Picture of Dianna Cunningham
by Dianna Cunningham - Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 7:44 PM

It's really hard to balance the pain and the fear of the fear of the pain with doing the program and everything  else. Just know that we all care about you and we all understand! Be kind to yourself. Your pain is not your fault!

Picture of Cheryl H
by Cheryl H - Tuesday, 28 March 2017, 8:38 PM

I have had IBS for so many years, I hate to think about it. Lately it has gotten unbearable 24/7.  I feel your pain! I can't get out of bed for the most part because of stomach pain. I am working with a TMS therapist and today, talking to her we discussed how much shame I have surrounding this. I feel disgusted with myself for having this "thing." I have to keep telling myself that it is not my fault! I have been in therapy for over two years and I still have work to do, I keep telling myself to be patient, that I am doing the best I can. You are not alone.

Cheryl

Picture of Saoirse C.
by Saoirse C. - Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 9:11 PM

Its good we are amoungst fellow TMS suffers purely to show us it is real and not in our heads. I was brought up not to moan and sometimes feel commenting on how I feel is moaning and in my head as someone who was lead to believe she was lazy . All the stress comes out in the body and thank you for telling us it can take time and to not give up.

xxx
Saoirse